Vegan dieting is far from boring when you have the right recipes in hand. Get creative when coming up with tacos to complete your menu as there a numerous vegan taco recipes to pick from. Each is unique and as delicious as it is nutritious.
1. Vegan Enoki Mushroom Tacos
This colorful, mouth-watering recipe is sure to be a hit among vegan (and non-vegan) dieters alike.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 20 large enoki mushrooms
- 4 corn tortillas, toasted
- 1/2 cup spinach greens
- 1/4 cup pickled red onions, diced
- 1/2 cup cooked black beluga lentils
- 1 peeled avocado, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup vegan sour cream (mixed with 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric) OR 1/4 cup of vegan cashew sour cream
- Saute the mushrooms in oil, soy sauce, mirin, and sesame seeds until brown.
- Bake (or heat up) the lentils according to package instructions.
- Place mushrooms, greens, lentils, onion, avocado, and salt to taste in the corn tortillas (divide ingredients evenly among the four tortillas).
- Drizzle with turmeric vegan sour cream (or vegan cashew sour cream) and enjoy!
2. Vegan Falafel Taco Wraps
This flavorful meat- and dairy-free taco wrap recipe won't disappoint.
- 12 falafel patties (store bought or homemade falafel patties)
- 4 whole grain tortillas
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 peeled avocado, cut into bit-sized pieces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese
- 1/4 cup tahini sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place 3 falafel patties (warm or cold, depending on your preference) in each tortilla -- toast the tortillas ahead of time, if desired.
- Top with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, avocado and vegan cheese (and salt and pepper if desired)
- Drizzle with tahini sauce, wrap up, and enjoy!
Servings: 4 tacos
3. Vegan Lettuce-Wrapped Tacos
To change things up a bit and lower the amount of carbs you're getting from tortillas, choose lettuce wraps instead of traditional tortillas for your next vegan taco night.
Nut Loaf Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup large yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups crimini mushrooms, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground flax seed mixed with 2 tablespoons water
Nut Loaf Instructions
- Combine rinsed lentils with broth in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes; drain lentils and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine flax seed with water and set aside.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Sautee onions with oil and salt in a pan over medium heat until onions begin to brown.
- Add celery, carrots, and mushrooms to onions and saute another 10 minutes.
- Combine sauted vegetable mixture with lentils, flax mixture, and all other ingredients in a large bowl. Stir until evenly combined.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Prepare nut loaf as instructed, let cool, and slice.
- Place wrap ingredients (divided into four equal amounts) into each collard leaf.
- Season with salt, to taste.
- Wrap collard leaves around filling ingredients into a taco shape.
- Use hummus in place of almond cheese, if desired.
Servings: 4 tacos
Choosing Vegan Tacos
Making creative plant-based tacos is an excellent way to keep vegan diets interesting and incorporate veggies and protein into nutritious, well-balanced dishes.