Losing someone you love is a devastating experience. While nothing can take away the pain, finding words can sometimes help you heal. Quotes that speak to the loss of a best friend might help you express your pain and the sudden void you're feeling in your life.
For those who are searching for something to say on social media or as part of a eulogy, we've gathered some honest and encouraging quotes surrounding the death of a best friend to help you caption your grief — and maybe find a little peace along the way.
Quotes to Help You Say Goodbye After the Death of a Best Friend
Losing a best friend is like losing a limb. You can never truly replace them. However, you can relish in the amazing moments you had together and the powerful impact they had on your life.
Find the right words to gain comfort and honor your friendship with quotes like these.
- You know you have a true best friend when time and distance cannot break your bond. I guess it will take a bit longer for us to have our next visit, but when we meet again, I cannot wait to catch up as if no time has passed. Rest well in heaven, my dear friend.
- A best friend is one of the few people in life who chooses to love you despite your flaws. The bond is stronger than blood because there is no obligation. I am so lucky to have found someone with such a wonderful soul, kind heart, and witty sense of humor to have by my side. No one can fill your shoes, sweet friend.
- In the end, you beat cancer. You took away its power. You conquered life in the time you had and I can't wait to see you in the next. I love you, friend. There is no one better than you.
- To the person who always lived life like there was no tomorrow — I guess you knew something the rest of us didn't. Way to live your life to the fullest, best friend. Planning to take a page from your book and always ask myself, "What would [person's name] do?" before making any big decisions.
- Until now, I didn't realize how many seeds you had planted in my life. I can't seem to go a day without being reminded of you. Glad to have you as a fixture in my garden, best friend. You will never be forgotten.
- You know how I know that we are best friends? Because I laughed at your funeral. Every story that someone told reminded me of our great times and the joy that you brought into my life. Thanks for the laughs, bestie.
- Grief doesn't ever really go away. It lingers and resurfaces when you least expect it. But those moments do get easier to handle. More importantly, the sadness surrounding the loss of a best friend is replaced with just wonderful memories that bring small smiles when we are reminded of those we held most dear.
- To the one person who would never accept a blanket response — I can't lie to you, I am not fine. Thank you for always calling me on my crap and making sure I didn't bury my feelings. You were my rock. I know I have gained an angel, but I miss my friend. Love you always.
- You always knew when to make an exit, best friend. I just didn't see our adventure in life ending so soon. I love you always and I hope you are scoping out the best spots in heaven for us to enjoy one day.
- I am at a loss for words, which you know never happens. But had I known you were going to leave, I wouldn't have the slightest idea of what to say either. I guess that's why things happened the way they did. Because God knew that I would never have let you go. I love you forever, my friend. You will always be in my heart.
Short Sayings to Caption Your Grief After the Loss of a Best Friend
Quotes on the loss of a best friend don't need to be long-winded. They just need to express your feelings, whether they're anger and sadness surrounding their death or love and gratitude for their presence in your life. These quotes about losing friends remind us we're not alone.
- To say I feel betrayed is an understatement. Life took you away too soon and I don't understand why. But I do know that you are in a better place and that I am fortunate to have had you as a best friend.
- To lose a best friend is to lose a piece of your soul, but my loss was your gain. You lost your pain and finally found peace. Someday I will do the same. Thinking of you always.
- Life's adventures won't be the same without you pushing me outside my comfort zone. Thank you for making me brave. I don't think I could handle this moment without the lessons you taught me over the past few years.
- To my ride or die — Thank you for always being in my corner, even if you had no earthly clue what battle you were about to fight alongside me. I don't think I will ever find another friend quite as faithful as you.
- You know love was extraordinary when you feel great sorrow when it is gone. I am so fortunate to have had you as my best friend while you were here.
- It is a dark night here on Earth, but I know you are shining bright in heaven, best friend. You are a glowing example of a committed companion.
- The loss of a best friend is great, but not ever having one is greater. Thankful for our time and the good times we shared. Rest in Peace.
- I hope you know that this isn't goodbye. It is just until we meet again. You can't get rid of me that easily, bestie. Love you always.
- They say that time is a cruel mistress and I suddenly see why. You never know how long you will have with the ones you love. You were some kind of wonderful, and the world is going to miss your vibrant spirit.
- It feels like I am witnessing a car crash and I can't get out to help. Your death has changed my life forever, but I guess meeting you did the same thing. I love you always, my friend. Thank you for crashing into my world and sticking around as long as you did.
- Finding a best friend is something that only happens once or twice in a lifetime. I hope that I am lucky enough to find another you. Until then, I plan to keep bending your ear about every little thing that happens in my life so I hope that you are listening, bestie.
Uplifting Words to Remember Your Best Friend After Death
Death limits your time with a person, but it cannot steal your memories or the joy you felt when you were with your friend. These quotes for the loss of a best friend can help to remind you that they are never truly gone.
- Even though you are gone, I know that our memories will live on forever. You made my life exciting and helped me to remember to slow down and actually live. I’m thankful to have called you my best friend.
- Friendship transcends all boundaries. Death took you away, but when a friendship is true, you already know what your bestie would have said or done in every single scenario. I know you will always be cheering me on, giving me crap, and guiding me from beyond.
- To my other half, thank you for being the Thelma to my Louise. You were the best friend a girl could ask for, and I was lucky to have you by my side. I hope you are flying high in heaven.
- When it comes to friends, you were the GOAT. Our time together was short, but your impact will last a lifetime. Rest in peace, dear friend.
- [Person's name], I have decided to not look at your passing as a loss, but rather a stroke of luck that fate brought us together and gave us good times during your short time here on Earth. It was a blessing knowing you, best friend.
- My dearest friend, even if we are apart, I know that you will always be with me because that is how it has always been. We have spanned weeks without seeing one another and months between chats, and yet, through thick and thin, I knew you were always thinking of me and supporting me. I'm going to move forward believing that we will meet again and go back to being the bestest of friends.
- Every good party comes to an end, but that doesn't mean we won't stop celebrating your life! To the expert extrovert, the savvy socialite, and center of attention, thanks for lighting up our lives, even for just a little while. Love you, bestie.
- You moved through life with grace and enjoyed every step. All I can say is that I hope you are dancing in heaven bestie. Someday, I will join you on that dance floor, but until then, I will continue to waltz my way through life on Earth, despite my two left feet.
- Dear best friend, I know you know I love a good cliffhanger, but I wasn't ready for our chapter to end. I hope you play a role in writing the rest of my book. If anything, I know you are at least up there reading along.
- It is funny where we find the bestest of friends. The movies make us believe that this person will be in the same stage of life and the same social circles, yet I found you. During our many conversations, I felt like I was looking at my future. You and I were the same, just 50 years apart in age, but I guess that is what is so great about a best friend. Age, size, looks, education, and beliefs don't really matter. Only that your souls mesh. I am so glad that in our time together I got to see a glimpse of my future and you got to relive some of your past. See you on the other side, my dear friend.
When choosing quotes about the loss of a best friend, think about your specific relationship with the person and what you would have said to them directly if they were still alive. After all, this quote can serve as a way to voice your grief and say goodbye. Even if you plan to share it with the world, direct the message towards them. This can help you cope.
Famous Quotes About Best Friends & Loss
Sometimes we cannot caption our grief, so we have to take someone else's sorrow to serve as our own. Television shows, movies, and songs are all great sources for meaningful lines that can be used as loss of a best friend quotes.
- "You are my person, you will always be my person." - Sandra Oh as Cristina Yang in Grey's Anatomy
- "Some grief is — is heavier than other grief. Sometimes it moves through you, and sometimes it just gets stuck. And you carry it." - T.R. Knight as George O'Malley in Grey's Anatomy
- "The simplest thing is... I loved him. And I miss him." - Jack Nickolson as Edward Coke in The Bucket List
- "Grief is just love with no place to go." - Jamie Anderson
- "When you lose someone you love, they never really leave you. They just move into a special place in your heart." - Catherine O'Hara as Mrs. Frankenstien in Frankenweenie
- "I don't think that we're meant to understand it all the time. I think that sometimes we just have to have faith." - Nicholas Sparks, A Walk to Remember
- "Time waits for no man. Time heals all wounds. All any of us want is more time. Time to stand up. Time to grow up. Time to let go. Time." - Ellen Pompeo as Meredith Grey in Grey's Anatomy
Losing a Best Friend Changes Your Perspective on Life
As someone who has lost a best friend, I can tell you that the experience changes you, and while the pain lessens, it never really goes away. Every person heals differently and figures out their own unique way of coping.
The key is finding a meaning behind the loss to help you heal and to make the world a little bit better place. Quotes about losing a best friend can help you slowly let go of your pain and replace it with only the good stuff — your memories.