Figuring out what to say and how to remember a friend who passed away is difficult for those in the midst of grieving. Whether you are looking for something to say at a memorial or funeral, something to say to your friend's family members, or you're grieving yourself, quotes about the death of a friend can help you find the right way to express your feelings.
Unless otherwise noted, all quotes are original and written by LoveToKnow Staff.
Remembering a Friend Who Passed Away in Quotes
Quotes about the death of a friend can help both you and your deceased friend's family members with the grieving process. These powerful funeral quotes can highlight the bond between friends.
- A true friend is never truly gone. Their spirit lives on in the memories of those who loved them.
- The bond between friends is beyond the mortal world. I can still feel [Friend's name] with me every day, helping me make it through. She/he/they is/are by my side, and yours, forever.
- They say friends are the family we choose. Being chosen was the greatest moment of my life and when [Friend's name] passed away, it was the worst moment of my life.
- Friendship transcends death. The memories we made with [Friend's name] will never be forgotten and they have created a lasting impression on those he/she/they left behind. Everyone became a better person for having such a wonderful friend.
- Saying goodbye isn't for us. Instead, I will say that I look forward to seeing my friend again, each time I am reminded of him/her/them through a phrase, a joke, even an article of clothing. These are the things that will keep us close despite death.
- Our best of friends know that they were loved for who they were in life and will be remembered for their heart in their death.
- A great friend is something to be cherished, whether they remain by my side in this life or wait for me in the next.
- Dear friends are the ones who know our hearts, minds, and quirks, and choose us as their friends anyway. Even when they have passed to the next life, I still feel them encouraging me to be my best self.
- Honoring a friend's death is truly about honoring their life. You may feel despair over what may have been, but try to revel and reflect in the wonderful times you did have with [Friend's name].
- Loss of a friendship through death is a cruel and cold companion. Warmth is found through fond memories, so curl up with them whenever you need to.
- I am better for knowing you, better for loving you, better for having met you. May you be as blessed in the next life, my friend, as I was in this one by knowing you.
Short Quotes About the Death of a Friend
A short quote conveys your feelings and is a good addition to a sympathy card. Add a short quote to a framed photo of your friend to help you remember them and be inspired by their life or pay a tribute to a friend who passed way on social media with a beautiful short caption.
- My friend was ridiculously happy in life, so let us celebrate that their amazing impact rather than weep over our loss.
- A friend's death is a great sorrow for all who loved her. I mourn her friendship.
- Walking the rest of the path of friendship alone is heartbreaking.
- There is no greater memory than the sound of a friend's laugh. May my memories of our fun times drown out the sound of my cries.
- A friend in spirit, indeed. Let us remember you as you were in life.
- Cheers to the guy/girl who made everything more exciting. Heaven gained quite the angel when you left us.
- Friendship is a connection that does not weaken in death, but instead grows stronger for those who remember.
- The friends who loved you in life will therefore treasure you in death.
- Losing a friend is like losing the sibling you chose. A devastating moment that will change you forever.
- My life was blessed through your friendship. May you find blessings in the next life, dear friend.
Quotes About Death of a Friend Who Is Gone Too Soon
Grief is often different when a friend passes away due to illness or accident. These sorrowful quotes may help you express what you may not be able to on your own.
- A best friend gone too soon is a tragedy. What would have been worse though, is to have never met him/her/them at all. I am so grateful to have been [Friend's name] friend in life and will continue to be his/her friend in death, honoring him/her /them in all I do.
- Let us grieve for the bond we shared and the bonds we didn't get a chance to form yet, since you passed too soon, my dear friend.
- The value of our friendship is beyond measure. I'd pay anything to have you back for one more moment, for one more memory. I miss you.
- Saying goodbye this soon feels wrong. So instead, I'll just say 'I love you' and know you are with me always.
- To the person who helped shaped me into the person I am today. Thank you for being the friend and confidante I needed in a time of change and growth. Your passing came too soon. I hope you are at peace. I miss you.
- When friendship leaves us through death, we feel cheated in life. Life doesn't play fair, so I vow to win the game for us both.
- Tears fall freely over the death of my friend. Weeping for eternity would not convey the depths of my feelings of loss.
- Friendships formed in life are broken in death. The love we shared remains unbreakable.
- To a friend who challenged me to step outside of my comfort zone and try new things. This world isn't the same without you, but I am grateful for the time we had together.
- [Friend's name] once called me a 'great friend.' I miss him dearly and am honored to have called them my best friend.
- A friend taken from life too soon is nothing but tragedy. Their death affects everyone who knew and loved them. We will honor their legacy and remember them always.
- Friends who pass to the next life are waiting for us each time we close our eyes. Each dream and memory where we meet again are magical to me.
One of the best ways to honor a friend who passed away is to share happy memories about them with the people who held them most dear. This is a great way to let their family know that they were truly loved and appreciated in life. While it may seem sad to talk about them, it's important to remember that these types of conversations are what keep their memory alive.
Famous Loss of a Friend Quotes
Processing your grief and putting your feelings into words after the death of a friend can be hard. Thankfully, singers, songwriters, and authors have elegantly expressed these emotions so that you process your pain.
- "You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing." - E.B. White
- "Oh I'm in pieces, it's tearing me up, but I know, a heart that's broke is a heart that's been loved, so I'll sing hallelujah." - Ed Sheeran
- "It ain't fair you died too young, like a story that had just begun. But death tore the pages all away. God knows how I miss you." - Kenny Chesney
- "This is one of those moments that's got your name written all over it and you know that if I have just one wish it'd be that you didn't have to miss this." - Cole Swindell
- "It's hard to deal with the pain of losing you everywhere I go, but I'm doing it. It's hard to force that smile when I see our old friends, and I'm alone." - Rascall Flatts
- "It's been a long day without you, my friend and I'll tell you all about it when I see you again." - Wiz Khalifa
- "Funny how the good ones go, too soon, but the good Lord knows the reasons why, I guess. Sometimes the greater plan is kinda hard to understand, right now it don't make sense. I can't make it all make sense." - Luke Bryan
- I'm going to miss that smile, I'm going to miss you my friend. Even though it hurts the way it ended up, I'd do it all again. So play it sweet in heaven, cause that's right where you want to be. I'm not cryin' cause I feel so sorry for you, I am cryin' for me." - Toby Keith
- "Tell me, what does it look like in heaven? Is it peaceful? Is it free like they say? Does the sun shine bright forever? Have your fears and your pain gone away? 'Cause here on Earth it feels like everything good is missing since you left and here on Earth, everything's different. There's an emptiness. Oh-oh, I, I hope you're dancing in the sky and I hope you're singing in the angel's choir and I hope the angels know what they have. I'll bet it's so nice up in Heaven since you arrived." - Dani and Lizzy
Biblical Quotes About the Death of a Friend
Religious quotes often give comfort to faithful people in the midst of grieving. When writing a tribute to a friend who passed away, quotes from the Bible can also be a meaningful choice. If your friend believed in the Christian faith, you might look for sympathy Bible verses.
Being considerate of your friend's memory and of their family is really important during this time. Unless you know for certain they would appreciate a Biblical or other religious quote, you may want to choose a non-religious option.
- "For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent and live!" - Ezekial 18:32 (New International Version, NIV)
- "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." - Matthew 5:4 (NIV)
- "I thank my God every time I remember you." - Philippians 1:3 (NIV)
- "My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever." - Psalm 73:26 (King James Version, KJV)
- "Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints." - Psalm 116:15 (KJV)
- "Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God." - 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 (KJV)
- "And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise." - Luke 23:43 (KJV)
- "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." - Psalm 147:3 (English Standard Version, ESV)
- "Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you."- 1 Peter 5:6-7 (ESV)
- "He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away." - Revelation 21:4 (ESV)
Find Comfort and Inspiration During Grief
When someone close to you passes away, it's a time of mourning. Using quotes to help you find comfort, and even inspiration, during this time is one way to process your grief.