The "about me" section on a dating site is one of the most important pieces of your dating profile. It lets potential dates know who you really are, what you like, and whether they want to get to know you better.
Dating someone based solely on their profile pic is out, and authentic bios are absolutely in. Examples of creative "about me" sections can help you craft your own and bring you one step closer to finding your ideal match.
Genuine "About Me" Examples for Dating Sites
Creating a unique "about me" section can feel like a pretty tricky task for many online daters, but it doesn't need to be stressful. Relax, try to come up with a few examples that really feel like you, and go with your gut. Remember, you can always change your dating profile if you find something that suits you better down the line.
For People Who Like to Travel
If you're an avid traveler and feel passionate about finding a travel buddy, let potential partners know right away. Some "about me" examples that highlight travel include:
- Hi! I'm (insert your name). I've been bitten by the travel bug hard and have spent the last few months making my way around (insert location). I feel most at home when I'm exploring different places and immersing myself in the rich culture and history of other countries. My work allows me to travel, which I'm super grateful for, and I'd love to meet you if you're up for an adventure!
- Hey there, I'm (insert name)! I'd love to tell you about the time I got lost in (insert location), but I'll save that for our first date. As you may have guessed, I'm up for a good adventure and travel about (insert number) months out of the year. I grew up in a small town, and it's been my dream to see the world, one incredible town at a time.
- Hi, I'm (insert name)! I'm a frequent traveler, but not in a spontaneous sort of way. I love to plan my trips and go out on mini-adventures once I feel comfortable there. You can say I'm an organized free-spirit. I love to try out new food, immerse myself in the beautiful culture of other places, and meet locals. I'm excited to meet you so we can plan our next adventure together!
Some platforms let anyone be the first to message, whereas others, like Bumble, will only let women make the first move. If you're writing an "about me" section for a dating site as a female, you should consider this.
For People Who Are Creative
If you have a creative spirit or a creative career that you're passionate about, putting that in your "about me" section is a great way to let other potential daters know right away what type of person you are. To showcase your creative personality, you can write:
- Hi, I'm (insert name). I've been a professional dancer for over 10 years and love to give lessons to little ones in my spare time. When I'm not dancing, I'm hiking, painting, or surfing. I pride myself on prioritizing my downtime and enjoy watching movies and reading murder mysteries. I'm looking for a partner who can have fun both on the go and during quiet moments.
- I'm a professional artist, and I love to fully immerse myself in my work. I paint mostly outdoor scenes, so I'm always on the go trying to find my next subject. When I'm not working, you can find me cooking up a new recipe, at a local farmer's market, or enjoying some time at the beach. At home, I love a peaceful environment — I grew up with a lot of siblings, so I'm soaking up all the calm I can!
It's absolutely personal preference if you want to introduce yourself by name in the "about me" section on a dating app. Your name will be at the top of the page, so you can go right into your interests and hobbies if you want. It's really up to you!
For Passionate Individuals
For anyone who has a passion for their work, volunteering, or just has a zest for life, this is the perfect time to let potential partners know about this side of you. You can say:
- Hi, I'm (insert name)! I was in a terrible accident when I was younger, so now I'm trying to soak up all that life has to offer. I try to practice loving kindness towards myself and others, and I tend to be a glass-half-full kind of person. I love to volunteer in my spare time at the animal shelter and have two rescue dogs who I adore. In my spare time, I like to practice yoga, go on thrifting adventures, and spend time playing fetch with my pups.
- I grew up watching my parents strive toward their career aspirations, and I've completely followed in their footsteps. I am a (insert job title), and I have loved growing and learning in my current role. My goal is to eventually be a (insert dream job). I am as driven in the workplace as I am in a relationship. My ideal relationship is filled with passion, empathy, and a lot of love. I hope to have a small family one day, retire early, and enjoy traveling.
- I've always had an incredible passion for living life to its fullest. I am a hopeless romantic and always strive to believe in the good within everyone. I'm straightforward about my needs, and honest when I feel hurt. I am looking for an equally positive partner who loves to try new experiences and is a great and open communicator.
For People Who Are Thrill Seekers
If you're up for anything and want a partner who can hang, let that part of your personality come out in your "about me" section. You can say:
- On any given day, I may be skydiving, free climbing, or exploring a new trail. I'm into extreme experiences and am looking for a fun-loving partner to join me on my latest adventure. I'm down to try new foods, travel on a moment's notice, and live life as spontaneously as I can. I am definitely not soft-spoken, but I pride myself on being empathetic and compassionate towards others.
- I once got lost in the wilderness and lived off of the land for nearly two weeks before I found my way back home. While many may find this experience terrifying, I found it invigorating. To commemorate this moment, I like to live off the grid for some time and really ground myself in nature. I'm looking for a partner who can either join me on my adventures or respects that we both may need some alone time to do our own thing.
Don't be afraid to say what you're looking for in a partner! People often appreciate when you're willing to be open about what you want.
For People Who Are More Introverted
If you identify as an introvert, it can be helpful to let other potential partners know right away. This way, you'll attract someone who gets your communication style and doesn't misinterpret anything as standoffish, since this can happen in an online dating setting.
- Hey there! While I was nervous at first to join an online dating community, this type of laid-back dating scene really suits my personality. I'm pretty shy at first and prefer to take my time getting to know someone before really opening up. I'm looking for an equally introverted partner or someone who understands that I will need some alone time to recharge. In my spare time, I love to read, paint, and spend time outdoors.
- Hi! I'm (insert name). I describe myself as introverted. I prefer quiet nights in, and I love to read, write poetry, and listen to (insert type of music). I'm a huge fan of trying new foods and try to spend as much time outside as I possibly can. My favorite book is (insert favorite book), and I've read it about a million times. I'd love to meet another fellow introvert!
Your ideal partner is probably someone who shares common interests, so don't be afraid to talk about yours! Say what you love to do and even describe why it's so important to you.
For People Who Love Humor and Comedy
If you've got a knack for comedy and you're looking for someone who has a good sense of humor, let your "about me" section showcase that. You can write something like:
- If you're reading this, that means all the pictures I forced my friends to take for my profile picture actually worked! Aside from being a great friend, I am a big-time animal lover. I have about a million rescue dogs — I hope that's okay with you! I enjoy a good cheese platter, and my motto is "the stinkier the better." I'd love to get to know you if you're into taste-testing my questionable recipes and walking a lot of dogs.
- Hi, I'm (insert name). I'm your perfect match if you like quiet nights in snuggling up by a roaring fire, or Jane Austen novels — just kidding, I'm literally the opposite of that guy. But I am really, really good at playing mediocre guitar, and I make a mean bowl of cereal.
Creating the Perfect "About Me" Section
Take your time crafting your "about me" section. Keep in mind that many people won't read a super long section, so get to the good stuff as soon as you can. Try not to overthink it and just allow your true personality to come through.