Gender neutral names and their meanings offer you the best choices if you're a gender-neutral conscious parent. With over 200 names to choose from, you can find the ideal moniker for your little one that isn't gender specific.
Gender Neutral Names of Places
Choosing a name of place can add little mystique and strength to your gender-neutral name selection. Give your baby a unique name that is bold and makes a statement.
- Arizona: Small spring. Choosing this state will give your child a cool name for life.
- Aspen: Quaking tree. This gender-neutral name evokes thoughts of ski resorts and beautiful trees.
- Austin/Austen: Magnificent. What could be more stunning than a name that means your baby is magnificent?
- Berkeley: Birch tree meadow. You may also like this name for its association of the University of California in Berkeley.
- Brighton: Bright town. This is also the name of a handbag company that also features jewelry.
- Bristol: Meeting by the bridge. If you're a NASCAR fan, then Bristol Motor Speedway may have more sentimental meaning to you.
- Brooklyn: Broken land. This New York City borough gives your child a strong name to live up to.
- Dakota: Friendly one. North Dakota and South Dakota take the name from the Native American tribe.
- Dallas: Skilled. Dallas is the northern Texas metropolis steeped in America's history of oil drilling.
- Dayton: Day town. The National museum of the US Air Force is one claim to fame for this Ohio city.
- Denver: Green valley. Denver is known as the jump-off spot to get to the ski resorts in the Rocky Mountains.
- Indiana: Land of Indians. Your little one may end up being nicknamed Hoosier that identifies a native of Indiana.
- Jordan: Flowing down. The river Jordan or basketball star Michael Jordan gives your baby instant name recognition.
- Journey: Voyage. It's not so much a place as a trek that your little one will find interesting in this moniker.
- Kansas: People of south wind. The sunflower state is part of the breadbasket of the United States.
- London: From the great river. London makes a really cool gender-neutral name for your baby.
- Madison: Child of Matthew. This name inspires with the President Madison and his wife Dolley as well as the city in Wisconsin.
- Milan: Gracious or dear. Milan, Italy is the world renowned fashion city.
- Minnesota: Sky colored water. The wilderness and Lake Superior are just two of the claims to fame for this state.
- Montana: Mountain. Yellowstone National Park and Miles city, aka Cowboy Capitol, make this a super cool name for a baby.
- Nevada: Snow covered. The glitter of Las Vegas is undeniably one of Nevada's more famous claim to fame.
- Paris: Wallet. The city of love says it all with this name.
- Phoenix: Dark red, rebirth. This city in Arizona is immediately associated with the Phoenix Lights, believed to be a UFO event.
- Salem: Peace. The Salem witch trials are forever burned into this city despite the meaning of its name.
- Shiloh: Tranquil. Shiloh is an ancient Biblical place mentioned in Genesis.
- Sidney/Sydney: Wide island. Sydney, Australia is the capital of New South Wales and the Sydney Opera House architecture resembles sails.
- Sky/Skye: Cloud. There is nothing that can hold back a child named sky since there are no limits.
- Sierra: Saw (jagged mountain range). The Sierra Mountain range lies between the Great Basin and Central Valley in California.
- Windsor: Riverbank with a windlass. The House of Windsor is the current ruling royal family of the United Kingdom.
- Jersey: Grassy island. New Jersey is home to the cryptoid known as the Jersey Devil.
Nature Inspired Gender Neutral Names
You can use nature to come up with the ideal name for your baby. You can explore the meaning of each name for a better understanding.
- Ash: Ash tree. Your child will be supported with this name.
- August: Majestic. Nothing says summer more than this month.
- Berry/Barry: Spear. Wild berries are a mainstay for wildlife in the forests.
- Birch: Dweller in the birch wood. Birch trees have a mystical appeal that spring up in groves.
- Cypress: Adaptive. A cypress tree is ethereal in its appearance and rises above the swamp waters.
- Dale: Valley. This name brings beautiful lush valleys to mind.
- Dusty: Brave warrior. This is a cute name for a very vibrant and independent child.
- Eddy/Eddie: Pleasure, delightful. Like the circular currents in the ocean, this name could mean your child will run circles around you.
- Frost: Snow, ice. Prepare for a lifetime of hearing the cheerful and fun Frosty the Snowman song.
- Gale/Gail: Jovial. This child could be a force to reckon with.
- Lake: Body deep water. Deep waters run emotional, so this name might allow your child to be in touch with their emotions.
- Lark: Cheery and merry. This name might imbue your child to go out on a lark or two to discover life.
- Ocean: Pure. This name is very powerful and could attract changes like the moon does the ocean's tides.
- Rain/Raine: Queen. A name that implies nourishment and growth.
- Raven: Dark haired. Your child may decide to be a poet and follow in Edgar Allan Poe's footsteps.
- Reed: Red hair or ruddy complexion. Reed is a strong name that will certainly support any redhead.
- River: Of the riverbank. If you want a name that will teach your child to flow with currents of life, this is it!
- Roan: Little red-head. This is also a name used to describe a horse and could empower your child to endure hardships to reach his/her goals.
- Robin: Famed, bright. There are several Robin heroes in fiction, such as Robin the sidekick of Batman or Robin Hood, the thief who stole from the rich to give to the poor.
- Sage: Wise one. Who doesn't want their child to grow up to be a wise person? This name gives your baby a head start.
- Nymph: Mythological nature spirit. This name automatically makes your baby special.
- Storm: Tempest. This name might bring some fierce passions to your little one.
- Summer: Season of half-year, shine. The season everyone looks forward to after a harsh winter is a good name for a child.
- West: Western stream. The American West wasn't for the faint of heart, and your baby will be instilled with this legacy when carrying the name West.
- Winter: Bring renewal. This name implies preparation and the ending just before a new beginning (spring).
Colors for Gender Neutral Names
A color name might be a fun choice for your baby's name. You can consider the energies associated with the color before making a decision.
- Auburn: Reddish brown. This color is often the description of brown hair with red highlights.
- Gray/Grey: Black mixed with white. Gray implies a serious mind that doesn't view the world as black and white.
- Grayson: Child of gray-haired one. This name is associated with the fictional character Tarzan.
- Kobe/Kobi: Supplanter. This name describes a place and a type of beef.
- Midnight: Mystical time. This is the magic hour.
- Red: Fiery color. This color is associated with passion and love.
- Rusty: Red-haired. Rusty implies someone who is able to survive with their grit and mind.
- Sandy: Man's defender. This might just draw your child to live by the ocean.
- Slate: Gray-green rock. A cool rock has a linear structure that may prove to influence your child to keep moving forward in life.
- Smoky/Smokey: Resembles smoke. The Smokey Mountains are steeped in mysticism and tales of magical happenings.
A Through C Gender Neutral Names
Breaking down gender-neutral names in a group of A through C helps narrow your scope. Select a name that you feel is a good match for your baby.
- Addison: Child of Adam. This name is strong and conveys a sense of self.
- Adrian: Sea water. If you want a name that represents a deep thinker, this is it.
- Aiden: Fiery one. Your baby will grow up with a passion for life.
- Alex: Defender or protector of humankind. This name might influence your child to join the military or become a public defense attorney.
- Andy/Andi: Brave. Living up to this name may bring on daring acts.
- Aaron/Erin: From Ireland. Green might become your baby's favorite color.
- Aarya: Prayer. If you're religious, you may find this the perfect name for your baby.
- Arden: Great forest. A love for being in the forest could be the blessing of this name.
- Ashton: Ash tree town. A love for botany might be your child's passion.
- Aubrey: Leader of elves. This name allows your child's imagination to blossom.
- Avery: Ruler of elves. A child by this name will make a great playmate for a child named Aubrey.
- Bailey: Steward, bailiff. Instilling the duties of a steward, the energies of this name may prove serious.
- Billie/Billy: Resolute protector. This is the name of the famous tennis great Billie Jean King and the sultry singer, Billie Holiday.
- Blaine: Slender one. Your baby may just grow up wanting to be a model.
- Blair: Meadow or field. Running in a field of flowers will be your baby's happy place.
- Blake: Dark haired or dark skinned. This is an Old English name.
- Bobbie/Bobby: Traveler from a foreign land. Your child might just grow up to be a world traveler.
- Britton: From Britton. The urban slang for this name is simply someone from Britain.
- Brook/Brooke: Small stream. Fishing in streams and playing in creeks will be at the heart of this name.
- Cameron: Crooked river. Following a crooked river can be a great adventure.
- Campbell: Beautiful field. This famous Scottish clan might inspire your child to wander.
- Carey/Carrie: Pleasant stream. Finding a plot of land with a pleasant stream could be your child's deepest desire.
- Carson: Child of marsh dwellers. The marshlands may hold great interest for your child.
- Casey: Vigilant. There are many occupations your child might like that allow her/him to watch out for dangers.
- Cassidy: Clever, curly-haired. This is a fun name for a mischievous child.
- Chandler: Candle seller. Candles, especially scented candles, may be your child's favorite thing.
- Charlie: Free man. Gotta be free might be your baby's theme song throughout life.
- Chris: Christ, anointed. This name can bring great spiritual awakening.
- Clarke: Clerk. Never forget the faithful newspaper reporter, Clark Kent, aka Superman.
- Corey/Cory: From the hollow. In the Bible, Cory means God's peace.
- Courtney: From the court. Does this mean your child might grow up to be judge?
D Through J Gender Neutral Names
There are many names in the alphabet range of D and J that provide you with gender-neutral choices. Some name might feel more masculine than feminine, but offer double spellings for you to consider.
- Dana: Arbiter. A negotiator couldn't have a more suitable name.
- Dani/Danny: God is my judge. This is a good rule to live by.
- Devin: Divine. Appreciate divinity is a mindful way to live.
- Devon: Defender. Protecting others, especially those who are weaker, is an admirable attribute.
- Dominique: Of the Lord. To be cognizant of where she/he came from is an excellent way to live life.
- Dorian: Child of the sea. Your baby may just run off and join the navy.
- Drew: Druid descendant. If your child develops an interest in the Druids, it shouldn't surprise you.
- Dylan: Of the sea. Here's another baby destined to live on the ocean.
- Elliott/Elliotte: Of God. An excellent name to be mindful of the creator.
- Emerson: Powerful and brave. This name is a lot to live up to and can serve as inspiration and motivation.
- Emery/Emory: Home of powerful. This moniker isn't for the weak spirited.
- Finley: Warrior, hero. Don't be surprised when your little one decides to join a fight for a good cause.
- Frances/Francis: Free one. Your baby will always seek freedom.
- Frankie: Free one. Frankie is going to be right behind Frances/Francis when it comes to being a freedom lover.
- Gabriel: God is my strength. This is a powerful name and is the name of one of God's Archangels who made numerous appearances in the Bible.
- Gentry: Of gentle breeding. Your baby will be a gentle soul with this name.
- Harley: Hare's meadow. You may just have an adventurer on your hands.
- Harper: Harp player. Musical talent might be a prominent gift.
- Hayden: Hedge valley. This child might enjoy building fences and bridges.
- Hunter: One who hunts. This name could inspire your child to become an excellent hunter, perhaps a guide.
- Jace: God is my salvation. With this name, your child will always know where to turn.
- Jackie: May God protect. A feeling of safety and protection follows this name.
- Jackson: God is gracious. It is good to always be mindful of God's grace.
- Jaid or Jade: Brave warrior. If your child grows up to be a soldier, she/he will have the name to go with the profession.
- Jaime/Jamie: May God protect. This name is like putting a seal of protection on her/his foreheads.
- Jerry/Jerri: Mighty Spearman. You could have an athlete on your hands with this name.
- Jesse/ Jessie: God is gracious. Another name that brings to mind the goodness of God.
- Jody/Jodie: Praiseworthy. Your child might decide to live up to the meaning of this name.
- Jo/Joe: God is gracious. Once more, a name that provides divine inspiration and a reminder.
- Johnny/Johnnie: Lord is gracious. Sometimes a name guides a child's life in a certain direction.
K Through N Gender Neutral Names
The names K through N are unique names. These names often refer to the color of hair or warriors.
- Kai: Willow tree. Your child just might know how to bend with life so it doesn't break her/him.
- Keaton: Place of hawks. Reaching for great heights could be your child's legacy with this name.
- Keegan/Kegan: Fiery one. Passion directed and guided in the right venues is a big plus in life.
- Kelly/Kelley/Kellie: Warrior. If your little one has battles ahead of her/him, this name is the armor.
- Kelsey/Kelsie: Island. It's always good to remind your child that no man is an island.
- Kendal: Valley of River Kent. Becoming like water is a Zen philosophy.
- Kennedy: Helmeted chief. Being a leader is easy with this name.
- Kerry/Kerri: Dark haired. If you want a name that represents the color of your child's hair, this may be a good choice.
- Kieran: Black or dark. This is another name that describes color.
- Kit: Pure. This name might keep your child on the straight and narrow.
- Kylar: Church. Your little one may be inspired to participate in church or even answer a call to serve as a minister or priest.
- Kyle: Narrow channel. This name can teach your child to take advantage of the small pathways.
- Kylin: Key keeper. Knowing that she/he holds the key to life can be empowering.
- Lane: Small path. It doesn't matter how small the path is as long as there is a path.
- Lee/Leigh: Meadow or pasture. Feeling free to run through a meadow is a joyful thing.
- Leighton: Meadow town. Your child might be drawn to a town bordering a meadow.
- Leslie: Holly garden. A garden connects the soul to the Earth.
- Linden: Linden tree hill. Hills and valley are important metaphors for life.
- Logan: Dweller of little hollow. Finding the perfect place to live is always important.
- Lou: Famous warrior. Your child might become a defender of innocents.
- Mackenzie: Son or daughter of the handsome. This could be a name that pays tribute to you!
- Marin: Born of the sea. If born of the sea, then there may be an eternal longing to return to sea, some way.
- Marley: Seaside meadow. What a picturesque imagery seaside meadow evokes.
- Marlow/Marlowe: Driftwood. You don't want your child to drift through life, but driftwood has been hardened by experience and may be a good name to dub your boy or girl.
- Micha: Who is like God. The striving to be like God can strengthen and lift a child's life.
- Morgan: White sea dweller. This name might take your child to explore or travel the oceans.
- Murphy: Descendant of sea dweller. This name implies that the sea is in the blood.
- Nico: People of Victory. This name might mean your child always wins.
- Niki: Victorious people. A different name that means the same thing as Nico.
- Noel: Christmas. What a great name to give a child, so she/he will always be in the Christmas spirit!
P Through S Gender Neutral Names
The gender-neutral names of P through S have a range of meanings. Many names reference a belief in God or describe bravery.
- Parker: Park keeper. Taking care of a park could be an excellent calling in life.
- Pat: Diminutive form of Patricia or Patrick. This is a cute nickname to give as a first name and sidestep the longer versions.
- Payson: Peace. Having peace is always a good thing in life.
- Payton/Peyton: Fighting man's estate. The fact that your child might be a fighting and have an estate should bode well for both of you.
- Perry: Pear tree. Fruit trees are a wonderful symbol of growth, fertility and prosperity.
- Presley: Priest's meadow. This conveys the feeling that meadows are scared or holy places.
- Quinn: Counsel. Your child may decide to live up to their name and become a counselor.
- Ramsey: Ram island. An island of rams means you'd never want for food.
- Reagan: Little king. Don't be surprised if your child exhibits traits of royalty.
- Reese: Enthusiasm. This is the emotional all parents seek in their children.
- Reilly: Courage. It takes a lot of courage to pursue your dreams, and this name might help your boy or girl get there.
- Remington: Place on the riverbank. Finding solace and peace along a riverbank might make this your baby's favorite place to live.
- Remy/Remmie: Oarsman. Could your child join a rowing club?
- Rene: Reborn. Knowing that she/he can reinvent themselves anytime, makes this name a great reminder.
- Ricky/Rickey/Rickie/Ricki: Forever. The eternity of this name is awe-inspiring.
- Riley: Rye clearing. You may want to keep this child away from rye bread and other rye products in case there is an uncontrollable penchant for them.
- Rory/Rorie: Famous ruler. Don't be surprised if your baby grows up thinking she/he is the ruler of you.
- Rowan: Little red-head. This name presents the possibility of an impish spirit.
- Royal: Regal. Your child's expectations may be a big telling.
- Ryan/Ryann: Little king or little queen. This name could dub your little one with a sense of royalty.
- Ryley: Courageous. You may end up with a daredevil!
- Sam: Told by God. This name might inspire your child to have long talks with her/his creator.
- Sawyer: Woodcutter. Getting to the root cause of matters could be a good metaphor for this name.
- Scout: To listen. You shouldn't have any issues with a child bearing this name paying attention in school.
- Shannon: Work with straw. Your child might decide that life offers more than the mundane and seek out the extraordinary.
- Shawn/Sean: God is Gracious. This name helps your child to be mindful of the blessings she/he has been given.
- Shay: Admirable. This name might mean your child is fated to a life of adoration by peers and superiors alike.
- Skyler/Skylar: Scholar. A Rhodes scholar or simply a well-educated person makes this a good name choice.
- Sloane/Sloan: Warrior. If you're seeking a name to inspire your little one to become a warrior, this is a great choice.
- Spencer: Provisions keeper. This name could energize your child to become a prepper or a provisions officer in the military.
T Through Y Gender-Neutral Names
The names T through Y that are gender-neutral offer many possibilities for a baby name. You want to select a name that will grow well with your child into adulthood.
- Tate: Cheerful. Who doesn't want a cheerful child?
- Tatum: Bringer of joy. Children bring great joy, so why not give yours a name that means joy?
- Taylen: Kind. Everyone hopes their child will always be kind.
- Taylor: Tailor. Putting things together to create a whole could be the interpretation of this name for your child.
- Teagan: Fair. Always fair in the dealings with others is an admirable characteristic.
- Terry/Teri: Harvester. Understanding that she/he will reap what they sow is a grand lesson for life.
- Tony/Toni: Priceless. Each child is a priceless gift to their parents.
- Tory/Tori: Victor. It doesn't hurt to remind to be the victor.
- Tracy: Fighter. Learning to defend herself/himself is always important.
- Tristan: Bold. This name might inspire your child to take bold steps she/he might not take ordinarily.
- Tyler: Maker of titles. Your child might be captivated by the titles of books, songs, magazines, and make a great ad copy executive.
- Val: Valiant. Striving to have courage and always being determined are excellent traits for any child.
- Whitney: White island. Keeping in mind that island life can be wonderful; this could be a great name for a child.
- Wyatt: Brave, warrior. Another warrior baby might be named to infuse this characteristic for a life well-lived.
- Yael/Yale: To ascend. Being reminded that the ultimate goal of many people is ascension, this name might produce a spiritual seeker.
Exploring 200+Names for Your Baby That Are Gender-Neutral
With over 200+ gender-neutral names, you are sure to find one for your baby. After you initially browse through the lists, you can always go back and pick out a few names you like the most to narrow your search for the one name that best fits your baby.