Father's Day is the one day of the year that's dedicated to honoring the men who often play a crucial role in making our lives better. While gifts, food, and fun activities are always appreciated, one of the best ways to pay tribute to dear old dad is with a meaningful Father's Day message in a card. If you're wondering what to write in your Father's Day card, try one of these ideas to wish your pop well on his special day!
Quick Tips on What to Write in a Father's Day Card
Depending on the relationship you have with your dad, what you put in a Father's Day card can be sweet, sappy, sarcastic, or something in between. Whether you're writing an emotional Father's day message or a funny one, though, here are five things to include for a card that has real impact:
- Start with 'Happy Father's Day!'
- Acknowledge how much you value and appreciate your Dad's love and insight, and the many sacrifices he has made to give you a good life.
- Add in a funny memory or comment to lighten the mood.
- End with a positive remark and wish him a happy holiday.
- Sign with the nickname that your father uses for you.
The goal shouldn't be to write a novel, but to fill the space in the greeting card you picked out.
Picking out a card with a nice sentiment is important, but if you don't include a message, it's pretty impersonal. Take a few minutes to come up with some kind words for your dear old dad. Even short messages for Father's Day can help him feel loved and appreciated.
Father's Day Messages From a Son or Daughter
You made him a dad! That's a big promotion - one that comes with a lot of responsibility. Make sure he knows you recognize his everyday efforts with these heartfelt Father's Day messages.
- You know you're a spectacular dad when your adult children still come to you for advice! Thanks for always being a lending ear when I need it the most. I love you, dad.
- Great sons come from even greater fathers. Thank you for being such a shining example of what it means to be a good man.
- I'll never be too old to need you, dad. You are the smartest man I know, and I am so lucky to be able to lean on you when I need support.
- Dear Dad, Thank you for loving me no matter what and accepting me for who I am. Thank you for always choosing what was best for our family over what was easiest for you. Thank you for believing in me, teaching me, and loving me. You are the best dad - and I love you.
- You know how grandpa and grandma always say that 'one day you will look back at this situation and laugh'? We are just trying to give you plenty to chuckle at when you get old! Thanks for always putting up with our shenanigans, Dad!
- Happy Father's Day Daddy Shark, doo-doo, doo-doo! We hope you enjoy having this song swim around your head for the rest of the day! You are pretty jaw-some!
- Happy Father's Day to the man who always has a corny dad joke up his sleeve! We can always count on you for a chuckle and an eye roll!
- To the first man I ever loved, I hope you know you set the bar high for all the rest. Thank you for teaching me to never settle and always helping me to strive for the best. I only hope to find a love like yours and moms. Happy Father's Day, Dad!
- To the man who exemplifies patience - looking back, I have no idea why you stuck around. You are a stronger man than I am! Thanks for being the rock that grounded us and for helping us to become fully functioning adults!
Short Messages for Father's Day
For the man of few words, consider keeping your sentiments short and sweet. Here are some quick messages to get the message across in your Father's Day card.
- Happy Father's Day, Dad! You are simply the best!
- Dad, you are the real MVP - Most Valuable Parent! Don't tell Mom.
- Anyone can be a father, but it takes a very special man to be a dad.
- I hope you know that your endless love and support is pretty awesome.
- Are you sure there was no manual that came with me? Because you are doing a pretty good job!
- Thanks for being the fun parent!
- Happy Father's Day to the man who made growing up fun!
- I love you more than (your favorite thing)!
- The man, the myth, the legend! Happy Father's Day to the greatest dad around!
- You are always the hero in my story. Thanks for continuously saving the day, Dad!
Inspirational Words to Write in a Father's Day Card
They are not just the guys who bring home the bacon. Dads do a lot when we aren't even looking. Take a second to recognize how their presence has made you a better person!
- To the man who pushed me to be the best version of myself - Thank you for always being my supporter, my cheerleader, and my coach. I would not be where I am today without your guidance and unconditional love.
- Being a great dad doesn't mean that you have all the answers. It's about showing up. It is about giving an endless supply of love, kindness, and support, while never passing judgment. It is what you do every single day. I am so thankful that I get to call you my dad. Happy Father's Day!
- It's only after I had kids that I began to understand how much you worked and sacrificed for us. It was only after I had kids that I truly experienced what love was. I am so glad that I had such a wonderful role model. Thank you Dad.
- The world is a better place knowing that you're in it. I hope you know how much you mean to all of us. Happy Father's Day dad!
- Now that I'm a parent, I realize that all of your yelling meant that you cared. Glad to have a dad who was always present and protective.
- Dear Dad, I wanted to send a well-deserved thank you for the warm water, the food, the air conditioning, the light, and all the other utilities you paid for that I took for granted.
- Thanks for always picking me up when I was down and motivating me to move forward. I am a better person because of your support. Happy Father's Day, Dad.
- You want to know what I remember most about my childhood? You being there. Thanks for that.
Even a simple mention of something you admire about your dad or ways he's inspired you can mean a lot. Think about the ways he's impacted your life and write about something he's done to show your appreciation and love.
Funny Things to Say to Dear Old Dad on His Big Day
Dads are the funniest guys around, or a lot of times at least they think they are! Give your dad a chuckle with a card that contains a funny Father's Day greeting.
- Happy Father's Day grill master! I think I made a mis-steak and need to move back home. Your barbecue has always been so flipping good!
- No ifs, ands, or putts about it-when it comes to dads, I got a hole in one!
- Hey dad, I just wanted to drop a line to let you know that you are a fin-tastic father!
- Dad, life is hard, but at least you know you don't have ugly children.
- I hope that your Father's Day is as thrilling as your life before you had us kids!
- What you call gray hairs, I called distinguished. Have a happy Father's Day to one old wise man.
- Thanks for always stopping me from doing stupid stuff, dad! I don't know where I would be without you!
- Dad, you are a prime example of what a great father should be, which is rare to find! We just wanted to say well done!
- Now that I'm a homeowner, I love you mower every day. I just wanted to let you know you are a cut above the rest, dad!
- Dad, I thought the best Father's Day gift would be to give you something that will make your life easier, so I got mom a present! You're welcome!
Messages to Show Your Love & Appreciation for Your Grandpa
He is the maker of your maker. Don't forget to wish your grandfather a Happy Father's Day with these sweet messages!
- Happy Father's Day Grandpa! I am so thankful to have you in my life and I appreciate all the sage wisdom that you impart during your many stories!
- It turns out that your good looks have been passed on to every generation! I love that my son has your eyes. Makes me feel like you're with me every day. Happy Father's Day Grandad!
- To the man who can watch golf with his eyes closed-we love having you 'a round'! Hope you know how tee-rific you are!
- Grandfather, You are such a remarkable role model to all of us. I hope to be half the person you are some day.
- It sure is grand to have such a great man as the head of this family! We consider ourselves lucky to get to call you Grandpa!
- Grandpa, I have determined that you are a genius! I don't know how I would make it through fatherhood without the internet. Tell me your secrets!
- My favorite part about summer is getting to spend more time with you! Happy Father's Day, Grandpa!
- Grandpa, thank you for being a listening ear wherever I needed one. I love that I can always share all my joys and struggles with you. Happy Father's Day!
- Thanks for never just giving me the fish. I love continuously learning from you and I cannot wait until our next time on the lake! You are a reel-ly amazing grandfather!
Sweet & Sarcastic Sayings to Let Your Husband Know He's Needed
He might be the man that you lean on when you need him the most, but also the guy who pretends that he cannot smell the poopy diaper. These sweet and sarcastic sayings are the perfect way to show you care or have a little fun at his expense!
- Happy Father's Day! Thank you for being the best dad to our kids. They are so lucky to have a father who loves them so immensely, despite the fact that they can sometimes be a handful!
- Watching you with our kids makes me love you more and more each day. You are such a wonderful father and an even better husband. Thank you for loving us and always putting our family first. Happy Father's Day!
- Thank you for giving me the greatest gifts - mini versions of you! It's like you always say… it's always good to have replacement parts available! Happy Father's Day, my love!
- You give them all of your love, energy, money, and sanity, and all you get in return is this lousy card! Worth it, right? Happy Father's Day!
- Who knew that when we said 'for better or worse', we were referring to when our children entered the terrible twos. Happy Father's Day to the most patient man around!
- They say that the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree. I guess we shouldn't be surprised that you produced a few nuts! Happy Father's Day to the man who makes me a bit squirrelly!
- I just wanted to let you know you make pretty adorable children. Thanks for passing on your handsome gene!
- Thanks for doing life with me and the kids. It's not always pretty, but it sure is fun! Happy Father's Day, my love!
- Father's Day is the one day of the year that you don't have to pretend to not smell the poopy diapers, see the mess, or help with your hyperactive kids. Enjoy your 24 hour break! You're back on the clock tomorrow!
Meaningful Ways to Say Happy Father's Day
Time goes by and memories fade, but greeting cards last forever. When paired with the right sentiment, a Father's Day card is something that your dad can cherish long past his special day. This can help to build your connection and express how much you truly appreciate him. The gesture is even more important when dear old dad lives far away and you don't get to spend as much time with him.
Finally, for the folks thinking that they don't have time to run to the store and mail a card in time, post an old photo on social media and include a thoughtful Father's Day caption instead! The most important thing is that your dad feels special on his big day.