Variations and Substitutions
The antifreeze cocktail has a few different recipes, and these are just a few modifications to get you started.
- Instead of melon liqueur, give your antifreeze cocktail a blue hue with blue curaçao.
- Layer in flavors with flavored or homemade infused vodka, such as lemon, lime, orange, or even a juicy raspberry-infused vodka.
- Swap the vodka for a silver rum or tequila to give it a summery flair.
- Skip the ice and use half of the ingredients that are called for to transform your antifreeze cocktail into an antifreeze shot.
Skip the traditional orange peel garnish or build on the existing garnish with these ideas.
- Keep the orange citrus flavor rolling with an orange wedge, slice, or wheel. You can even use those with an orange peel.
- Skip the orange citrus for a lemon, lime, grapefruit wheel, wedge, or slice. You can also use a dehydrated citrus wheel for a modern garnish with any citrus fruit.
- To make your antifreeze cocktail a little sweeter, add a sugar rim! Rub the rim of the glass with a citrus wedge and dip the glass in a shallow saucer with sugar. You can coat the entire rim or just a small portion. Strain into prepared glass.
If you use melon liqueur, garnish with a ball or chunk of honeydew melon or watermelon.
The Antifreeze Cocktail
With so many different recipes for the antifreeze cocktail floating around, you can easily craft your own flight with miniature drinks as you decide which one you like best. If you prefer your shots with a minty flavor, an easy two-ingredient recipe is three-quarters of an ounce of vodka and three-quarters of an ounce of crème de menthe. Enjoy the shot after giving the ingredients a good shake with ice before pouring into a shot glass.
For a softer minty flavor, you can mellow the peppermint schnapps with some ice, a half-ounce each of vodka, rum, blue curaçao, and peppermint schnapps. If you serve this over ice with a splash of lemon-lime soda, it quickly becomes a sippable cocktail. This cocktail makes for a great addition to any party, although it would notably stand out around St. Patrick's Day and Christmas, thanks to its stunning green hue.
Hitting the Breaks for Boozy Antifreeze
Skip the drive today and sit at home with an antifreeze cocktail. If the bright green color doesn't grab your attention, then the fruity flavors sip after sip will seal the deal.