- Run the lime wedge around the rim of a margarita glass. Set aside the lime wedge.
- Dip the wetted rim in the coarse salt. Set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the blackberries with a splash of the orange liqueur.
- Add the remaining orange liqueur, lime juice, and tequila.
- Add ice and shake to chill.
- Fill the prepared margarita glass with ice and strain the drink into it.
- Garnish with the reserved lime wedge and extra blackberries.
Substitutions and Variations
This is a perfectly balanced margarita as is, but that doesn't mean you can't use additional flavor to jazz it up.
- Replace the tequila with rum for a blackberry daiquiri.
- Dump all drink ingredients in a blender with ½ to 1 cup of crushed ice and blend for a frozen margarita.
- Muddle a few sprigs of fresh thyme with the blackberries.
- Replace five of the blackberries with a sliced apricot and muddle.
- Replace half of the orange liqueur with agave syrup.
- Replace half of the orange liqueur with cinnamon infused simple syrup.
- Use a cinnamon flavored tequila in place of the regular tequila.
Thread the blackberries and lime wedge on a cocktail pick for a picture perfect garnish. You can also garnish with a sprig of thyme.
About the Blackberry Margarita
Blackberries ripen at the height of summer. So if you've got a lot of blackberries growing wild nearby, it's worth risking the thorns to gather enough to make this delicious fruit-forward blackberry drink. It's a balanced combination of sweet and tart that takes the classic margarita recipe and kicks it up a notch.
Juicy Berry Goodness
What could be better than a perfectly ripe, juicy fresh-picked blackberry? That blackberry as part of a tasty margarita, of course. So if you've got access to fresh blackberries, go gather some and make this delicious summer drink.