- In a rocks glass, add ice, tequila, and lime juice. Stir.
- Top off with orange club soda. (A simple tequila and soda is also good.)
- Garnish with lime wheel.
Variations and Substitutions
The keto margarita skips the carbs and sugar in favor of a simple three-ingredient cocktail; however, there are additional ways to make this pop.
- A low-calorie sweetener can be used to provide some sweetness to the margarita.
- Flavored club soda adds both bubbles and sugar-free flavor. Consider lime, orange, grapefruit, lemon, coconut, or strawberry. Plain is also a great option!
- Since the recipe doesn't use any orange liqueur, orange club soda or orange-infused water is a great alternative.
- Orange infused vodka is also an option, using just a quarter to half of an ounce.
- Try out different styles of tequila, including añejo, reposado, or mezcal.
There are plenty of keto garnish options, so don't feel stuck with a lime wheel. But don't skip the garnish altogether--it is just as an important part of the cocktail as the other those already in the glass.
- If you want to continue the lime flavors, use a lime wedge or slice.
- For other citrus flavors, consider adding a lemon or orange. Like lime, this can be a wheel, wedge, or slice.
- Citrus peels add a vibrant splash of color. Try a long peel, a coin, or a ribbon.
- Dehydrated citrus wheels, including all of the above and grapefruit, add an unusual flair.
- Include a salt rim. To do this, add salt to a saucer then rub the rim of the glass with a lime wedge. Dip either half or the entire rim of the glass in the salt saucer to evenly coat.
About the Keto Margarita
The keto margarita is a lighter, healthier spin on the classic margarita. The classic margarita wound its way through American society when Prohibition started to make it increasingly difficult to obtain any spirits. Tequila was easy enough to secure, with a trip over the southern border to Mexico solving the booze-less situation.
Today, the keto margarita has similarly woven its way through culture. Although it verges away from the original by omitting a few ingredients, the flavor and profile of the margarita aren't lost. Rather, it simplifies in a tasty way without skipping a step in perfect margarita delivery.
An Easy Drinking Margarita
The keto margarita skips those extra ingredients, including those sugary parts that can throw you off track on your journey to living a balanced lifestyle. Don't think your best life can't include a margarita--you're just a stir away from one in hand.