Have you looked inside your air fryer lately? While these appliances are so simple to use and make amazing food, you have to make sure to clean them to avoid charred crumbs smoking up your kitchen. Get the deets on how to clean your air fryer inside and out with a few materials you have in your cupboard.
Materials for Cleaning an Air Fryer
Air fryers are amazing. They create deliciously crispy food with no grease. But you might not think it's so fabulous to clean. Still, it has to be done. Grab a few natural cleaners from your pantry and get to work.
How to Clean Inside of a Basket Air Fryer Without Harsh Chemicals
First things first, pull out your food basket and get to work. Grab your cloth and get working.
Clean Food Basket
Pull the food basket holder out of the machine and get to work.
- Pop the basket out of the basket holder.
- Use a microfiber cloth or paper towel to remove as much grease as you can.
- Put the holder in the sink.
- Add the basket.
- Let it soak in hot soapy water.
- Use the cloth to wipe it out.
- Rinse and dry.
If you want to save yourself a bit of trouble, you can use the dishwasher if they are dishwasher safe. Simply wipe out the grease and throw them in the dishwasher with your dishes.
Scrub the Inside of the Machine
Once the basket is handled, you need to get to the meat and potatoes of the machine. So, you need baking soda and vinegar to get started.
- Mix 1 tablespoons of baking soda, 1 cup of white vinegar, and a splash of dish soap.
- Use a spoon to mix.
- Dip a clean cloth in the mixture.
- Wipe out the inside of the fryer.
Easy Way to Clean the Element
Part of cleaning the inside of the air fryer is getting any gunk off the element.
- Flip your air fryer over.
- Use a clean part of the cloth.
- Dip it in the cleaning solution.
- Wipe down the element and around the element.
- For those hard-to-reach areas, use a soft toothbrush dipped in the solution.
- Wipe away the loose grime with a cloth.
- Use a damp cloth to rinse.
- Dry with a towel.
- Once the inside of the air fryer is dry, add the basket back in.
How to Clean Out a Metal Rack Style Air Fryer
Not all air fryers have a basket. Some have shelves like the Pampered Chef or Cuisinart. Therefore, cleaning these is a bit different.
- Pull out the metal grates.
- Throw them in the sink with a bit of soap and water.
- Use a toothbrush to scrub them clean.
- You can also use a grill brush.
- Pull out the crumb tray.
- Rinse it off and wipe it down with a cloth.
- Follow the standard steps for cleaning the inside and scrubbing the element.
How to Clean Air Fryer Outside for Shine
The inside of your air fryer looks fly. Now, it's time to tackle the crud and grime on the outside of the fryer.
- Mix a drop of dish soap in a cup of white vinegar.
- Dip in a new cloth.
- Scrub down all the areas of the air fryer.
- Use an old toothbrush to scrub any grime off.
- Use a damp cloth to rinse everything.
- Dry completely.
How Often to Clean an Air Fryer
So, now the real question: how often should you clean your air fryer? The answer to the question depends on how often you use it. For light use, give your air fryer a good wipe down every time you use it to get rid of charred food and gunk. Give it a good deep cleaning after 4-5 uses. This could be every month or even every three months if you use it rarely. If you use it daily, you want to do a good deep cleaning every few days to avoid smoking or charring crumbs sticking to it.
Simple Ways to Clean Your Air Fryer
Who knew you could get the crispness of fried food without the grease? Air fryers are an appliance you can't live without. Make your life easy and keep your air fryer running in tip-top shape by cleaning it properly. Now, it's time to get scrubbing!