The sadness and grief when missing loved ones at Christmas can be so deep. As you process your grief and honor your loved one who's no longer with you during the holidays, sometimes comforting words and quotes can speak to your feelings.
Though it's a simple act, sharing or reading holiday quotes that recognize the loss might make the moments a little brighter and help you embrace the beauty of your memories.
Unless otherwise noted, all quotes are original and written by LoveToKnow Staff.
Christmas Quotes for Remembering Loved Ones
It doesn't matter if your loved one was your friend, a relative, or your bestie at work. Coping with grief during Christmas can be hard, and using quotes to help express your emotions can help.
- The stocking on the mantel is as empty as my heart this holiday. Christmas isn't the same without you.
- I smile, knowing you are singing Gloria with the angels in Heaven this Christmas. I cry because I can't hear your voice except in my memories.
- The Christmas star shines brightly upon all those missing loved ones in Heaven.
- Like freshly fallen snow, my tears fall as a reminder of those I miss in Heaven this holiday season.
- The only wish on my Christmas list is to meet again in the great beyond. I miss you more than ever.
- In the still quiet of a cold Christmas night, I feel your spirit warming my heart.
- If only Santa's sleigh could take me to see you one more time. That's my Christmas wish this year.
- Christmas carols fall flat since you left. I hope you can hear their melody wherever you are this holiday.
- While the ache of your loss never leaves, it's profoundly felt at Christmas. I miss you so much.
- Even though I'm sad you're not with me this Christmas, may you rejoice in Heaven.
- One less gift under the tree and one less face to see. Christmas without you leaves me in misery.
- The glistening snow reflects my falling tears as I remember you this Christmas.
- Christmas brings me memories of you. Fondly, I think back on our times together and raise a glass in your honor.
- Facing the holidays without you is daunting. Memories are a dismal replacement for having you with me at Christmas.
- The Christmas season may come and go, but my love for you lives forever.
- Celebrating Christmas with you in my heart and mind. I hope you know you are loved and missed every day of the year.
- Hanging your ornament on the tree without you is tragic. May you see it from Heaven and be blessed this Christmas.
- Christmas cookies don't taste as sweet without you here.
- Our hearts are weary this holiday season. We pray in memory of you this Christmas season.
- The light of the holiday season has dulled since you passed away. May your spirit shine this Christmas.
Christmas Quotes for Missing Family Members
When the loved one was a close family member, the holidays can be especially difficult. Your first Christmas without your mom or the first time you have to sit at the holiday dinner table without your dad can be super difficult. Remember each of these special people with heartfelt quotes that speak to the holes they left in your heart.
- Mom - Christmas isn't the same without my mother's touch. We honor you by following your traditions, even though you're no longer with us.
- Mom - A loving family holiday is not the same without the love of your mother at Christmas. We're missing you more each year you are gone, Mom!
- Dad - Father Christmas can't replace my own father. Missing you tons this year, Dad!
- Dad - The holidays are quieter without your strong presence. We love and miss you, Dad.
- Child - The greatest gift I ever received was having you in my life, even for a short time. No Christmas present can compare.
- Sister - The heavens gained a new Christmas star when you joined them, dear sister.
- Brother - My brother brought joy at Christmas to all who knew him. His loss is felt by us all this holiday.
- Aunt - A loving aunt is a second mother, and her loss is felt by all this Christmas.
- Uncle - Uncles are the best friends we didn't know we needed. To my uncle in Heaven, may your star shine brightly this Christmas.
- Grandpa - Christmas feels empty without you, Grandpa. We hope you are celebrating in Heaven this year.
- Grandma - Missing your loving arms and warm Christmas hugs, Grandma. Our holiday is sad without you in it.
Quotes for Facing Holidays Without Loved Ones
Because there's just so much shared history during the holidays, having a family member or close friend gone during this season can be particularly sad. There aren't always words to express the feeling, but some of these quotes might come close.
- There's an empty spot at the holiday table that we look at with love, longing, and gratitude for all the years we were lucky enough to share.
- Every moment is filled with memories during the holidays, and so many of those memories include you. Missing you so much this year.
- Thinking of all those who have an empty chair at the table this holiday season. May you fill that space with love and gratitude to accompany your grief.
- I miss you dearly, and I try to remind myself that you live on in a thousand Christmas memories and the magic of the season.
- I see you in the lights on the tree and the ornaments we used to hang each year. I hear you in the carols we loved to listen to together. I miss you so much this year, but I feel you all around.
- This Christmas, may we all embrace the gift of our beautiful holiday memories of those who are gone. Even as we grieve, we are grateful for the joy we have shared.
- You are everywhere and nowhere this Christmas. I miss you so much.
- Reminding myself that it's okay to have a blue Christmas without the one I love.
- To feel such a great loss means I was lucky enough to share a great love — on Christmas Day and every day.
Comforting Quotes for the First Christmas After Losing a Loved One
Holidays are always a bit hard without the ones you hold dear. But that first Christmas after losing someone you love can feel particularly tough. These quotes might bring you a bit of comfort during a difficult season.
- This first Christmas without you, I give myself permission to grieve for the many joys we shared. It's okay that nothing is the same because my whole world has changed.
- As we weather this first Christmas without you, your memories live on in everyone who loves you.
- You always brought so much joy to Christmas. This year, I guess that's my job.
- Christmas will never be the same without you. I'll carry you in my heart forever.
- This Christmas without you is the strangest mix of lingering grief and holiday hope.
- You loved Christmas more than anyone. It doesn't feel right to celebrate without you this year.
- We may not celebrate Christmas together anymore, but I know you'll always be there in my heart this time of year.
- You've always been my Christmas star. This year, I believe you've truly become what you always were to me.
- I can't imagine Christmas morning without you. But I'm glad I have the memories of Christmases past to help me carry on.
- Christmas was our holiday. I may be celebrating without you this year, but it will always be our day.
- I thought I understood how much I miss you until I realized I would have to celebrate Christmas without you this year.
- Facing this first Christmas without you is like a fresh wave of grief to finish the year.
Your holiday celebrations might look different without your loved one, and that's okay. You might try incorporating a few unique grief activities into the season to honor them and help you cope as you go through the season.
Famous Quotes About Missing a Loved One at Christmas
Everyone experiences a Christmas without a loved one eventually. It seems to be something many of us share this time of year. That's one reason there are so many relatable and famous quotes about the ache in your heart when Christmas rolls around.
- "Decorations of red on a green Christmas tree. Won't be the same, dear, if you're not here with me." - "Blue Christmas", Elvis Presley
- "The stars shine bright as the night air. And the thought of you not being here makes me shed a tear." - "Cold December Nights", Boyz II Men
- "Merry Christmas, darling. We're apart, that's true. But I can dream, and in my dreams, I'm Christmasing with you." - "Merry Christmas Darling", Carpenters
Using Quotes to Bring Holiday Comfort
Besides helping you process your own feelings of loss and grief during the holidays, quotes can help inspire you to write something comforting in a holiday card. It's sometimes difficult to know what to say, but these tips can help if you're choosing a quote to send someone who is grieving during the Christmas season:
- Only use a quote with a religious message if you share the religion of the person receiving the card. Not everyone believes in Heaven.
- Choose something that shows you empathize with how difficult this is, but keep the quote hopeful. Gratitude and good memories are always wise choices.
- Make the quote personal if you can. Use the name of the person who has passed away and add your own specific holiday memories of them if you have some.
- Remember that simply thinking of people during the holidays matters far more than what you say. Sending your sympathy and holiday wishes is important.
Missing Loved Ones at Christmas Quotes
Dealing with grief at Christmas is hard when you're missing a loved one. Use a memorial quote to help you process your feelings, but also know that it's okay to grieve. This is a process, and it will take time. You miss this person during the holidays because they mattered to you.