You love your boyfriend more than the moon and stars combined. He is your rock, your home. Don't worry if you're not sure how to show it, though; we've got you covered with lots of ideas for cute things to do for your boyfriend to let him just how much you care.
Hint: there's no need to wait for a holiday or special occasion to do something for him. There are lots of everyday, sweet things to do for your boyfriend like leaving him a note in his lunch box or taking him someplace special. Get inspired and show him he is your universe.
1. Say What's on Your Mind
If you love the way his eyes crinkle at the corners when he smiles, say so. If you are in awe by the way he knows just when you need a hug and steps in to give it to you, let him know. Say what's on your mind, whether it's a general compliment or an I love you.
Communication is the key to a healthy relationship, and saying sweet things to your significant other will make him feel appreciated. These are a few of our fave ideas for things to say to him:
- You can always make me smile.
- You give the best hugs.
- Thank you for making dinner for me. Everything tastes better when you cook it.
- Those are some impressive biceps!
- You make me so comfortable. I feel like I can tell you anything.
If you've had a fight and you're wondering how to make it up to your boyfriend, telling him and showing him how you feel with sweet gestures is always a good idea. Make sure he's ready, though. Sometimes it takes a little while to be ready to make up.
2. Plan His Ideal Date as a Surprise
He might not even know what his ideal date is, but you can find out and make it happen. You may need to do some prep work for this one unless you already know him very well. It's all about slipping questions into regular conversations and listening to his answers.
See if you can discover a food he'd like to try or what his favorites are. Find out what his favorite movies are or which ones he wanted to see but missed in the theater. See if you can glean from the conversations the things that he's always wanted to try but never had a chance. You could take him rock-climbing, then come home to shower and watch his favorite movie while eating something he really enjoys or has always been curious about.
Whatever you choose, it should be personal. It could end up being one of your most unique dates yet once you figure out what to do for your boyfriend.
- Get tickets to see his favorite team compete in a sporting event.
- Take him skydiving or hiking if he loves the outdoors.
- Cook his favorite meal or dessert.
- Take a class together that plays to his interests.
3. Read Him a Story
Do you remember how sweet it was to have someone read you a story? Well, this is one of our favorite cute things to do for your boyfriend. Curl up together and read him a great book out loud. There are lots to choose from:
- Try his favorite book from when he was little.
- Read a book series like Harry Potter together.
- Pick a classic you know he's been wanting to read.
- Choose a poetry book and read a poem every day.
4. Hide Romantic Notes
Hide romantic notes around the house, in his briefcase or backpack, in his shoes, under his pillow-anywhere that he will find one when he's least expecting it. You could also do this during holidays; for example, make the notes part of candy wrappers. Get creative and think of other places to put romantic notes so that he'll find them later. Try these ideas for inspiration for romantic things to do for your boyfriend:
- If you live together, write a note in the steam on the mirror after your shower. The next time he showers, the note will re-appear.
- Get up early and pack a lunch for him if he usually takes food to work or school. Write the note on his napkin.
- Slip one inside the book he's reading.
- Put a post-it note on his laptop screen if he works or studies from home.
- Attach a note to his steering wheel, on his windshield wipers, or his seatbelt.
Related: Sweet Love Note Ideas to Try
5. Be Nice to His Family
This could mean anything from his mom to his dog. Send his mom flowers or help her clean up after a meal, and you'll be sure to get brownie points. If he's got a dog, pick up a special treat or toy. Get the family members to love you, and they'll be looking at you with a renewed sense of appreciation. These are a few more of our favorite ways to spread the love:
- Take his grandma out for coffee (or bring her some).
- Help his mom shop for the perfect birthday gift for him. Don't just give pointers. Go with her.
- Give his family members small gifts like candy or cute, silly toys and figurines. Make sure they've got meaning though; for example, if his dad loves comics, consider giving him an action figure of his favorite character.
- Tell his family what a considerate, thoughtful son they raised.
- Simply showing up for family events means a lot, especially if you try to help out in any way you can. We're talking keeping an eye on the kids, cleaning up, or setting up extra tables and chairs.
6. Buy His Favorite Book
If he has a favorite book, you may be able to find a beautiful leather-bound or signed copy. Search used bookstores, rare book shops (try Abe Books), thrift shops, auction sites, and more. If you're lucky, his favorite book won't be terribly obscure and you'll be able to easily find a copy in your local bookstore. Check the author's website for opportunities to have it autographed.
This simple way to make him happy also works for other things:
- Coins or anything he collects
- Candles or products in his favorite scent
7. Bring Back an Old Memory
If the book idea doesn't fit your guy, maybe he had a favorite toy or possession as a child that he lost or gave away. See if you can find something very similar to give him. Perhaps he loved his Teddy Ruxpin bear as a child but it got lost in a move.
These are a few other ideas for doing sweet things with old memories:
- Have his favorite picture of when he was a child matted and framed.
- Organize his old pictures and keepsakes into a scrapbook, which is something he'll have to know about in advance (but sweet nonetheless).
- Re-create the moment you met or your first date by taking him to the same spot and doing the same activities.
8. Make Him a Collage of Your Relationship
Take old pictures, movie ticket stubs, special notes, and anything else you have that represents your relationship and arrange it in a collage he can hang in his room. Handmade gifts are often some of the most special. This one takes some planning, so keep your camera handy and hang on to any little thing that reminds you of your dates. Print the pictures and keep the ticket stubs in a box until you've accumulated enough.
You can also try these other options that he'll totally love:
- A scrapbook (this way you get to choose fun paper and add-ons!)
- A shadow box, which will allow you to add larger, bulkier items, like the pen he borrowed as an excuse to get your name and ask you out
- A journal with little notes about the items you're including
9. Send Him on a Scavenger Hunt
Hide a gift for him and send him on a scavenger hunt around town or even just around the house. You can scribble clues on the backs of old photos, ticket stubs, programs, and more. Create the perfect scavenger hunt using clues like these:
- Where we had our first kiss
- The spot where I first saw you
- Where we decided we were serious about each other
- Where we ate on our first date
- The place we were when you said you loved me
10. Plan Some Public Displays of Affection
This only works if you know he's the type of guy who likes to show affection in public. It works best if you're the type of person who doesn't normally want to do much more than hold hands in front of other people because he'll know you're doing it, especially for him.
These are a few cute things to do for your boyfriend that aren't too over-the-top:
- Throw your arm around his waist at a backyard barbecue.
- Give him a quick kiss for winning you a stuffed animal at the fair (or just because you want to).
- Spend a little extra time in his embrace at a dance.
- Hold hands under the table at a restaurant.
- When you're sitting and holding hands, put your other hand on top and lean in to get even closer.
In most cases, you'll probably want to save the true make-out sessions for private moments, no matter what your stance is on PDAs. You can always show your guy (and anyone else) just how much he means to you by leaning in a little closer or giving him a quick hug or kiss.
11. Sign Him Up for a Worthy Cause
If your boyfriend is passionate about a specific cause, sign him up to volunteer. The catch is, you have to take the day off and do it with him. Check Volunteer Match for opportunities. We love these ideas:
- Building homes with Habitat for Humanity
- Participating in Relay for Life or another 5K, 10K, or marathon for a cause
- Volunteering at a soup kitchen during the holidays
- Teaching computer, interviewing, and other job skills
- Volunteering to read to children at the library
- Volunteering at an animal shelter
12. Be Honest About Your Needs
One of the biggest gifts you can give your partner is to be honest with them. Tell your boyfriend what you like and dislike in a kind and considerate way. Doing so allows him to meet your needs and gives you both the space to enjoy a happy, healthy relationship where arguments are nipped in the bud.
- Tell him specifically what makes you feel loved and happy.
- Give him examples of special things he's done for you that made you feel truly cared about. He may be surprised.
- Encourage him to tell you what he really likes and what specific things you've done for him that made him feel loved.
13. Plan an Amazing Meal
Ask your boyfriend about the best meal he's ever had and try to recreate it for him for the perfect date night. Catch him off guard and tell him to meet you at your place (or at home if you live together) and say you want to head out for dinner.
- Set the table nicely and light a few candles. Serve up his favorite meal and enjoy spending time together.
- Pack his favorite meal in a picnic basket and head to one of your most romantic spots as a couple.
- Find a drive-in and bring your amazing meal to-go.
14. Do a Staycation Together
If you can convince your boyfriend to take a long weekend or even a full week off, plan some amazing staycation activities to do together. Staycations are a great way to connect, get to know each other on a deeper level, and have an awesome time together.
- Plan a couples' massage at a cool spa and enjoy decompressing together.
- Spend the day eating your favorite foods together and binge-watching your favorite shows.
- Plan a few activities centered around the things he enjoys. You can buy tickets to a concert or comedy show, take a scenic drive, and try camping.
- You can check out an old-fashioned speakeasy or bowling alley.
- Try a restaurant he's been dying to get into. You may need to make reservations ahead of time.
15. Do Something Small and Thoughtful Just Because
Sometimes doing sweet, small gestures can mean the world to your boyfriend. They show him that you care about him and really know what makes him happy.
- Draw him a cute and silly picture of the two of you and leave it on the fridge.
- Leave him a baked good or some chocolate in an easy-to-find place.
- Make him a trail mix jar to take to work and leave on his desk.
- Get him a reusable coffee mug to take to work or a water bottle to use throughout the day.
16. Surprise Him at Work
Surprise him during his lunch break to brighten his day. You can take him to lunch or bring him a packed lunch and sit outside and eat with him. This is a sweet way to make his and your day a bit brighter. Going the extra mile for him will show him how much he means to you and that you were thinking about him.
- Pack a big lunch of his favorite on-the-go meal and share it.
- Take a walk together and treat him to a coffee or goodie.
- Bring him a smoothie and a healthy snack to have in the afternoon.
17. Help Him Relax
Life can be stressful, and it feels amazing to have a supportive partner who takes care of you. Planning some surprise de-stress activities can be a great way to show your partner how important he is to you.
- Surprise him with a romantic massage equipped with candles and massage oil or lotion.
- Draw him a bath with relaxing essential oils and lay a warm cloth over his eyes.
- Make a soothing playlist for him to listen to before bed.
- Make some homemade soup and freeze it for him so he can have delicious soup whenever he wants.
- Buy him nice pajamas, socks, and slippers to wear at night.
So Many Sweet Things to Try
Don't worry if you don't seem to get it perfect with the first sweet thing you do for your boyfriend. You could have different ideas of which gestures are the most special. That's perfectly normal, so don't be discouraged if you've tried to do sweet things for him in the past and they fell flat. Just try another idea. We promise he's going to love most of these, and he's definitely going to love your effort.