After you buy a new Casio watch, the first thing you want to learn is how to set a Casio watch. Many modern watches have complicated setting processes. However, most Casio watches follow a similar user-friendly setting method.
Setting the Time on Your Casio
Casio watch setting instructions are fairly straightforward and many Casio models follow the same guidelines. There are generally two methods of setting a Casio watch depending upon whether the watch has mechanical hands with a crown or an electronic watch with buttons.
Setting Instructions for Watches with Crowns
Traditional watches with crowns are the most popular type of watch design. The crown is the knob on the side of the watch that you typically use to set the time or wind a watch. The crown controls all setting for the watch. It pulls out to two positions - one for setting time and one for setting the date. You will hear a click at each position. The first click position is a halfway pulled out crown. At the second click position, the crown is pulled out as far as it extends. For watches with screwlock crowns, you unscrew the crown by turning it clockwise before you can pull out the crown. Follow these instructions to set the time on a watch with a crown such as models 1319 and 2312:
- When the second hand reaches the 12 o'clock position, pull out the crown to the second click. The second hand will stop. You will now have control of both hands.
- Turn the crown to set the clock hands to the five minutes ahead of the current time and then back them out.
- At the time signal, push the crown in to finalize the setting of the time.
Setting the date on a watch with a crown is similar to time setting except you set from the first click position.
- Wait until the second hand reaches the 12 o'clock position and pull the crown out halfway or to the first click.
- Turn the crown clockwise to the correct date. If the watch has a day and date feature, turn hands clockwise to set the day and counterclockwise to set the date. Do not set the day and date between 10:00 pm and 6:30 am because it can interfere with the proper functioning of the day and date change for the next day.
- Push the crown back into place to confirm the date.
Setting Instructions for Electronic Watches
Casio electronic watches feature many different modes ranging from timekeeping to stopwatch. The M button controls the modes. Here is how to set time on a digital watch such as models 1632 and 1813:
- Press the M button to get into the Timekeeping mode.
- Select the seconds digits by holding the A button down until the seconds digits flash on the display.
- As the digits flash, press the C button, which will reset the seconds to 00. On some watches such as GW-500A, a stop/start button is used instead of a C button.
- Press the M button and change the selection in the order of seconds, hour, minutes, year, month and day. Proceed in that sequence to change information to the current time and date.
- As the sequence progress, digits flash when selected. Press the C or stop/start button, to increase a selected number or the B button to decrease it. Hold down either button to increase the speed of the selection change. All time and date functions are set this way.
- Press L when any digit is selected to switch between 12-hour and 24-hour formats.
- After setting the time and date details, press button A. The watch automatically sets the day of the week based upon the date information.
Setting the Seconds Count
You can set the seconds count to 00 at any time by pressing two buttons at once. Press buttons B and C simultaneously. If you press the buttons when the seconds are in a count range between 30 and 59, the seconds are set to 00 and one minute is added. Pressing the two buttons when the seconds are in a range of 00 to 29, keeps the minute count the same.
When the 12-hour format is activated, a 12H indicator displays in the text area. A P appears in the display during p.m. times. There is no special indicator for a.m. times.
Selecting the 24-hour format causes a 24H indicator to appear in both the text area and a 24 in the display.
Date capabilities for most models range from January 1, 1995 to December 31, 2039.
Consult Your Casio Manual for More Directions
Check your Casio manual for more information on how to set a Casio watch. If you no longer have the manual, view the manual online at Casio.com. The site has a wealth of information and advice on watch operation and maintenance.