Jewelry is a great gift for your girlfriend's birthday. Whether you've only been with her for two months or you've been dating for two years, the variety of options available mean it's always possible to find jewelry pieces to suit every style and budget.
Shopping for Jewelry as a Gift
Buying jewelry as a gift is ideal as it suits a range of outfits and occasions, so you can rest assured your girlfriend will get her wear out of it. However, there are some general rules when it comes to how much you should spend on this type of gift based on how long you've been together as a couple.
If it's a fairly new relationship and you're still getting to know each other, you might be wondering whether you need to get your girlfriend anything at all for her birthday at this stage.
It's completely up to you, but a little something is always nice to show her you're thinking of her. Costume or fashion jewelry is perfect in this instance.
Head into one of the trendiest female stores at your local mall and spend $10 to $20 on a mixture of pieces that might catch her fancy. These could include:
- Big chunky rings
- Statement necklaces
- Cool earrings
- Unique bracelets
If you've passed or are almost at the six-month mark of your relationship, you probably know your girlfriend reasonably well now and will be expected to get her a well thought-out birthday gift.
In this case, one key piece of jewelry made from premium materials at a mid-range price point is sure to be well received. For example, consider something fashionable, but not too pricey such as the following:
- A sterling silver bracelet or charms
- A gold plated or sterling silver ring
- A gold plated or sterling silver earrings
- A gold initial pendant
The amount you spend is completely up to you but bear in mind that the above examples cost around $100 to $200.
By now, you should be an absolute pro when it comes to what jewelry your girlfriend likes. You have no excuses; you simply have to get her a birthday gift that shows you've put in a lot of thought and effort.
It's best to go with either one main piece of fine jewelry or a set of two or three pieces of more affordable jewelry. For instance, this could be a sterling silver necklace with the bracelet to match.
Again, you can spend whatever amount that you feel comfortable with, but the ideas below cost around $200+:
- A designer watch
- A sterling silver pendant set
- A promise ring
- Gold earrings and bracelet set
Finding Jewelry That Suits
If you're not sure what kind of jewelry to buy, there are a number of factors you can take into consideration:
- Type of jewelry - If you're thinking about buying costume or fashion jewelry as your girlfriend's birthday gift, pay attention to what jewelry she wears on a daily basis. Is she always wearing a statement necklace? Midi rings? Dangle earrings? If you're investing in more expensive or fine jewelry, pay attention to what she wears for special occasions.
- Personal style - It's important to consider your girlfriend's personal style when you're buying jewelry for her. For instance, don't buy her a skull ring if she's a girly girl and prefers delicate, feminine-looking jewelry. Likewise, if she never wears any fine jewelry, don't bother buying it for her. Why? It might be a waste of your money.
- Age - This is a big factor when buying jewelry for your girlfriend. Your lady might not thank you for the youthful-looking, teddy bear charm bracelet if she's older and doesn't have any kids. Likewise, if your girlfriend is young, she might not appreciate a $400 delicate gold bracelet that her Mom would wear. It's important to know your audience.
- Ask a friend - If you're really struggling to decide which jewelry to buy for your special lady's birthday, the easiest thing to do is ask one of her best friends or female family members. After all, they're likely to know your girlfriend better than you at this point and will be more receptive when it comes to her tastes.
It's the Thought That Counts
Jewelry is a fabulous birthday gift for your girlfriend, regardless of how long you've been together. If you know her better than anyone else, then you probably already have a good idea of what she'll like. If it's a new relationship, you can always ask others to help you. It might take a few practices to get right, but remember that it's the thought that counts when it comes to birthday gifts. Your girlfriend will be grateful no matter what you decide to go for.