Mother's Day is a special celebration for the lovely mom in your life. Make her day engaging and exciting by adding some fun Mother's Day games to your family gathering. These games will appeal to all ages, and they're sure to bring on the bonding and laughter.
Perfect Mother's Day Games for Young Kids
Little kids will love playing these games on mom's special day, and mom will love not having to come up with the entertainment herself!
Create a Card for Mom Game
Gather some craft supplies and paper, and have the kids create Mother's Day cards. You can add a competitive element by asking kids who can draw the best flower, fashion the most creative masterpiece, or include the most of mom's favorites on the card. You can also encourage them to use one of their favorite names for mommy to make it more personal. Not only will they have fun, but mom will love receiving all the cards when the game's over.
- Have everyone in the household create a card about something special mom does for them, or they can put any creative spin they'd like to on the card.
- Once the cards are created, lay all the cards on the counter.
- Everyone must secretly vote on their favorite card (not their own).
- The top card will be given to mom first.
Don't Ask Mom
Add a fun twist to the game, Don't Say Mom. You need some craft supplies, paper, and a can-do attitude.
- Have the kids create Mother's Day chore coupons. These must be chores they genuinely dislike.
- Each kid must create five coupons.
- The game's goal is not to ask mom for anything all day.
- Every time a child says "mom" or asks her to do something, they must give her one of their precious coupons.
- The kid with the most coupons at the end of the day is the winner.
Balloon Pop Game
Take giving coupons and sweet notes to mom to the next level by creating a fun balloon pop game. To play, you need balloons, slips of paper, and pencils. This game works for little and big kids, along with multiple moms.
- All the children should create either a sweet note or a coupon of chores they will do for mom and sign their name.
- Roll the papers up and put them in the balloons.
- Blow up all the balloons.
- Put the balloons in the living room or yard.
- Have mom work to stomp and pop the balloons to reap her rewards.
- Give mom 60 seconds and have her pop the balloons.
- The one with the most coupons for mom is the winner.
Create the Best Mom Award
Your mom is the best. Show her with the best mom award.
- This game is done in a showdown type style like most food show challenges.
- Give everyone making an award 30 minutes to an hour.
- They must use what they can find around the house to create an award.
- After the time is up, each one must present their created mom award.
- Mom and a panel of chosen adults must rank each award.
The Meaning of Mom
Have fun and get a little energy out at the same time. Print out some coupons and let kids decorate them. Grab a stopwatch and get playing.
- Have kids create fun coupons for mom.
- Explain to the kids that they will have 60 seconds to scour the house for something that means "mom" to them.
- After 60 seconds, the kids must explain why it means "mom."
- Mom gets to choose the best explanation.
- They keep repeating this until one kid has no coupons left.
Fun Mother's Day Games to Play With Older Kids
If you have older elementary and middle school children, you can make the games more challenging. Explore these games for this age group.
Poetry for Mom
Moms love to hear how much they are appreciated. Get creative with your love by having your family create a Mother's Day poem.
- Have everyone write down something special about mom on a slip of paper.
- Put those in a hat.
- Have everyone in the family select one slip of paper from the hat.
- Create a poem based on your slip of paper.
- Exchange poems so you are not reading your own poem.
- Sit mom down in a chair in the center of the room.
- Read all the poems to her.
- Have her guess who wrote each one.
Fun Fill-in-the-Blank Game
Fill-in-the-blanks can be so silly. Create one just for mom.
- All the children work together to create a fun fill-in-the-blank story for mom, adding several blank spaces for verbs, adjectives, etc.
- Once the story is complete, have mom select the words to fill in the blanks.
- Read it out loud and let the laughter begin.
Love It or Hate It Trivia Game
This guessing game is all about mom. All you need for this game is your mom and several strips of paper.
- Pick several topics like movies, TV shows, social media, places, people, things, cosmetics, cleaning, etc.
- Write the topics on each different strip of paper.
- Secretly, have mom write down one thing she loves and hates for each topic.
- After she fills them all out, one person will read them.
- Each person gets 30 seconds to guess which one she loves and which one she hates.
- You get points for each correct answer.
- The one with the most points knows mom the best.
Not only will you learn more about your mom, but you'll find out who knows her the best.
What's On Mom's Sink/Vanity? Game
Mom's sink or vanity is a place of wonder. It contains so many things. So, let your kids guess what is there. You need a sheet of paper and pencils.
- Write down everything that's in the sink and vanity.
- Give everyone in the family but mom ten or so minutes to write down everything they think is in there.
- The one with the most right answers gives mom her Mother's Day present first.
Create a Story About Mom Game
Are you ready for hilarity to ensue? Then try out this silly game that's great for both large and small family get-togethers. All you need is something for writing.
- As a group, decide on a story theme. For example, mom getting her hair done, or mom talking on the phone.
- The youngest child starts the story with the first sentence.
- Have everyone at the party add a sentence to the story.
- Once everyone is finished, read the story to mom.
You might even create a Mother's Day skit out of the story for an extra bonus.
Mom Present Scavenger Hunt
Who doesn't love giving presents to their mom on Mother's Day? Make her work for them by creating a scavenger hunt.
- Create clues for mom for various areas around the house. These clues should be based on what mom does, or include fun mom riddles. (For example, this is where you do your makeup or where Ginny lost her first tooth).
- Put the clues at various places around the house.
- Have your mom use the clues to find her gifts.
Mother's Day Games to Try With Teens
It's hard to get teens to agree to play games, but they'll likely find the following to be enjoyable!
Two Truths and a Lie: Mom Edition
The two truths and a lie game is fun and oh so silly. It can also get shocking for your teens. For play, grab some paper, pens, and a hat.
- Have everyone in the house write down two shocking truths and an outrageous lie.
- All the truths and lies should be mixed up in a hat.
- Mom is going to read them all out loud.
- Each player must guess which one is mom's lie.
- The one to guess mom's lie is the winner.
- At the end, everyone must own up to which two truths and lie belonged to them.
Create the Best TikTok for Mom
TikTok has a lot of fun and creative filters and ways to make videos. Pick a song or soundbite and create a fun Mother's Day clip to post on TikTok. If you don't have TikTok, you could make a short Snapchat message or even a video on your phone. You can even involve mom in the making of the video, and challenge her to learn some trendy dance moves.
- Have everyone create a short video for mom. Make it crazy fun.
- Everyone presents their video to mom.
- After all the videos are shown, everyone must anonymously vote on the best video.
- The winner gets a special prize.
This can be fun with one mom or with large groups. The moms can all be the judges and hold a secret ballot vote for the winner.
Famous Movie Moms Game
This game requires sticky notes and pens. It also works better for large family gatherings for Mother's Day.
- Have everyone grab a sticky note.
- Write the name of a famous movie mom on the back of the sticky note.
- Have everyone stick their sticky notes on their forehead or chest.
- Ask questions to try to guess each person's famous movie mom.
- If you guess correctly, you get to keep their sticky note.
- The one with the most sticky notes wins at the end of the game.
Become Mom Charades Game
This is a silly game to get mom and the whole family laughing with glee. To play, you need slips of paper and a hat.
- Have everyone write down a few things that mom does. For example, "mom looking for her keys," or "mom on the phone."
- Put the slips of paper in a hat.
- From oldest to youngest, the kids need to grab a slip of paper and act out what's written on it for 30 seconds.
- Mom must guess what task they are trying to act out.
- The players get points for each correct guess.
Tips for Getting the Most Out of Mother's Day Games
Mother's Day games make this special day even more of a celebration. The following tips will ensure everyone has a great time.
- Play games and give mom presents in the morning, so mom has time to relax as well.
- Have candy or other cool prizes for the game winners on hand.
- Have mom create fun rewards for the winners, like extended video game or TV time.
- Modify the games depending on your group. If you have a small group, maybe everyone is a winner, or with a larger group, have them do group projects.
- Add a Mother's Day twist to old favorite games like Bingo, charades, or Pictionary. Not all games you play have to be creative, just Mother's Day themed.
- If you want a low-key day, opt for an activity like lip-syncing or karaoke with mom.
Having Fun With Mom
Mother's Day is a special time for the whole family. Make her day even more fabulous by adding a few fun games to the mix. These creative games are specially designed to make any mom feel special.