Hebrew names for boys and girls are commonly passed down through generations. They tend to have biblical origins or special, powerful meanings behind them. They are popular name choices for both Jewish and non-Jewish parents alike. This selection of beautiful Hebrew names and meanings might help you choose the perfect moniker for your little blessing.
Hebrew Names That Mean Joy or Happy
When a baby is born, there is a lot of love, joy, and happiness to go around. Parents feel blessed and grateful for the safe arrival of their precious child. Use your baby's name to reflect how you feel about your infant's birth and this joyous time in your life.
Pretty Hebrew Girls Names Based on Joy
She is as sweet as they come and as pretty as a picture. These darling names capture how happy her arrival has made you.
- Aliza - joy
- Eden - delight or place of pleasure
- Edna - pleasure, delight, rejuvenation
- Gila - joy, blessed
- Gilli - eternal happiness
- Hedva - joy, happiness
- Marnin/Marnina - rejoice, cause of joy
- Meiran - happiness of God
- Sarah - pure, happy
- Yovela - rejoice
Male Hebrew Names Representing Happiness
He is your precious boy, and his name should represent exactly this. These Hebrew names mean joy, happiness, or pleasure, emotions all new parents can relate to.
- Adnah - pleasure
- Anog - pleasured
- Asher - happiness
- Eisig - he who laughs
- Isaac - laughter
- Itzak - a form of Isaac, laughter
- Oshry - my happiness
- Raniel - God is joy
Hebrew Names That Mean Blessing
In the Jewish culture, a baby is considered a blessing from God. Thus, it's no surprise many parents opt to name their baby something that shows how blessed they feel.
Hebrew Baby Girl Names That Mean Blessing
She is a blessing, to be sure! Her name should remind the world that all is better because she exists.
- Ailsa - devoted to God
- Bracha - a blessing
- Chaviva - one who is loved
- Davina - cherished
- Naysa - miracle of God
- Tova - good, favor, kindness
- Ushria - blessed by Yahweh
- Vidette - beloved, dearly loved
Baby Boy Names That Mean Blessing in Hebrew
You prayed for this child and your prayers were answered when your son arrived safely into this world. Celebrate the little miracle that this blessed baby boy is with a meaningful name.
- Baruch - blessed
- Brighton - the one who is loved
- Davan - beloved; derived from David
- David/Davida - beloved, cherished
- Jamian - right hand of favor
- Jebadiah - beloved of the Lord
- Jedidiah - friend, beloved of God
- Jeroham - blessed
- Joram - supreme or high God or elevated
- Yadid - friend, beloved
- Yochannah - blessed by God
Hebrew Baby Names Meaning God's Gift
Many parents see children as a gift and blessing from God. Name your baby after this concept to convey how thrilled and grateful you are to be a parent.
Hebrew Girl Names Meaning Gift From God
There is nothing you treasure more than this tiny, perfect gift from above. Give your daughter a name that means "gift."
- Iva - gift from God
- Ivana - gift from God
- Ivy - God's gift
- Jesse (unisex) - gift, one who is
- Jane - gift from God
- Janna - gift from God
- Joan - gift from God
- Joanne - gift from God
- Johanna - God's gift
- Matana - gift
- Mathea - gift of God
- Mehetabel - God's favor
- Moriya - chosen by my God
- Natanya - gift of God
- Shaili - my gift
- Zaneta - gift from God
- Zevida - gift
Boy Names That Mean Gift of God in Hebrew
In all your remaining days, you will never receive a present as magical as he! These male names all mean "gift" in Hebrew.
- Doron - gift, offering
- Hananeel - God graciously gave
- Ian - gift from God
- Jaen - gift or grace of God
- Jonathan - God has given
- Lishai (unisex) - gift
- Matai - gift of God
- Mathian - gift of Yahweh
- Matthew - gift of God
- Matyiko - gift of Yahweh
- Mihaly - gift from God
- Nathaniel - gift from God
- Natan - a giver, whom God gave
- Osaze - favored by God
- Shaaya - shortened form of Yeshayahu
- Shaiel - combination of gift and Lord
- Shane - gift from God
Baby Names in Hebrew That Mean Light
Names that mean 'light' or similar are often given to babies born around or during Hanukkah, which is the Festival of Lights in the Jewish calendar.
Female Hebrew Names Meaning Light
The world is brighter because she is here, so allow her name to complement her inner glow.
- Eleora - my God is my light
- Meir/Meira - illuminates, gives light
- Neriah - light of God
- Ora - light
- Urit - fire, light
- Uma - light, peace
- Zara - light, dawn, princess
- Zia - light or splendor
Hebrew Boy Names Meaning Light in Hebrew
He is destined to shine, hence a name meaning "light" is a perfect option for your son.
- Baraq- flashes of lightning
- Laban - white, shining
- Uri - my light, my fire
- Uriah - God is my light or my fire
- Uriel - light of God
- Ziv - light, brilliance, glow
Beautiful Hebrew Names for Boys and Girls
These names all have to do with something beautiful, pretty, or pleasant. Sometimes, the baby themselves is considered beautiful, and other times, the baby is named after a beautiful place, circumstance, or feeling.
Beautiful Female Names in Hebrew
There is no mistaking that she is the most magnificent thing this world has ever seen. Her name should help that beauty shine through.
- Batchen - graceful or beautiful girl
- Elinoam - pleasantness of my God
- Naomi - pleasant one; above all, beauty
- Nama - beautiful
- Nava - pretty, beautiful
- Naveh - beautiful, oasis
- Rebecca - captivating
- Shaine - beautiful
- Taya - made in the beautiful land of Israel
- Thirza - pleasant, delightful; acceptance
- Yaffa - beautiful, pretty
- Yakira - precious
- Zipporah - beauty
- Zerlinda - beautiful dawn
Beautiful Hebrew Boy Names
Give your baby boy a beautiful name to go with his beautiful spirit.
- Aya (unisex) - beautiful land of Israel
- Hayate - sudden, a perfect Hebrew name for a surprise baby!
- Lichen - my beauty
- Lihen - my beauty or grace
- Linoam (unisex) - my God is pleasant
- Orchen (unisex) - beauty and grace
- Yinam (unisex) - it will be pleasant
Hebrew Baby Names That Mean Praise
When you find out you're pregnant, it is common to offer praise to God. These names fit the bill for anyone who wants to be reminded to be praiseful daily.
Baby Girl Names Meaning Praise
Bestow a beautiful name that means praise upon your baby girl so that you always remember to be thankful for her.
- Hallel - praise
- Ideh - praise
- Judith - praised or young
- Jutkah - He will be praised
- Odelia - thanks be to God
- Ydel - praise
- Zamora - praised
Hebrew Boy Names That Mean Praise
His name will remind you to thank the heavens daily for your perfect little man.
- Jude - the praised one
- Judah - to thank; the praise of the lord
- Mahalalel - praise of God
- Odel - thanks to God
- Udeh - praise
Exotic Hebrew Baby Names
Exotic names are perfect for out-of-the-box, creative thinking parents and their kids.
Exotic Hebrew Girl Names
These rare Hebrew names for girls are a little unique and a lot stunning!
- Magena - a covering, protection
- Malina - from the tower
- Nisi - emblem, sign
- Rayna - pure, clean
- Sabra - thorny outside but soft inside; patience
- Samara - under God's rule; protected by God
- Serafine - burning fire, or angel
- Shobi - glorious
- Yesmina - strong right hand
- Zilah - shadow, shaded place
- Zisel - sweet
Exotic Hebrew Boy Names
Give your son an exotic Hebrew name that will help him stand out in a crowd.
- Lemuel - by God, or for God
- Manasseh - cause to forget
- Oran - pale
- Raanan - fresh, luxuriant
- Sachiel - water angel
- Shelah (unisex) - petition, prayer
- Sivan (unisex) - the ninth month (of the Jewish calendar)
- Temani - of Teyman; southerner
- Yadira - beloved friend
- Yanai - whom God answers
- Yaniv - he will speak; or will bear fruit
- Yehudi - Jewish; a man from Judah
- Zakai - innocent, or one who is pure
Musical Baby Names From Hebrew
If your family is inclined to be musical, one of these great monikers might be perfect for your new bundle of joy.
Female Hebrew Musical Names
There is no way she won't grow up with a song in her heart should you give her one of these lovely Hebrew names with musical roots.
- Liron (unisex) - my song or my joy
- Rani - sing or utter joyful sounds
- Renana - singing, joyful sounds
- Rinnah - joyous song
- Roni - my song or my joy
- Shira - song, poetry
Baby Boy Names Based on Music
If you hope your boy grows up to be musically gifted, give him a name that means exactly that!
- Amiron - my nation sings
- Eliron - God is my song
- Jaron - singing, to cry out
- Liran - he sang
- Renin - to praise, chant, or sing
- Shir - song
- Yarin - he will sing joyfully
- Yaron (unisex) - to shout and sing
- Zemirah (unisex) - praised, song of joy
- Zimra - praised, song of praise
- Zimran - musician
Themes of Justice, Mercy, and Grace
The themes of justice, mercy, and grace run through Israelite history. Pay homage to your Hebrew heritage by giving your baby a gracious, merciful Hebrew name.
Hebrew Girl Names Meaning Justice, Mercy, and Grace
These options highlight key virtues of the human experience and are lovely sounding to boot!
- Adala - just or honest
- Adley/Adlay (unisex) - judicious, just
- Anke - grace
- Annaliese - grace; devoted to God
- Asenka - grace
- Bethesda - merciful, or house of mercy
- Chanah - grace or favor
- Ellen - light, mercy
- Hannah/Hana/Hanne - favor or grace
- Nan - grace
- Nancy - grace
- Nanna - grace
- Ona - graceful
- Yachne - kind, gracious
Hebrew Baby Boy Names That Mean Justice, Mercy, and Grace
His name reflects honorable traits and qualities you hope he will grow to possess.
- Adiv - kind, gracious and polite
- Amidan - my people are righteous and just
- John - the grace or mercy of God
- Justin/Justine - just, true
- Rahamin - compassion, pity, mercy
- Zane - God's grace; gift from God
Comforting and Peaceful Hebrew Baby Names
These baby names evoke thoughts of peace and comfort. In Biblical times, children were often named this way as God comforted the parents. These serene Hebrew names are sure to instill a sense of calm in your child.
Hebrew Baby Girl Names Meaning Comfort and Peace
Here's to hoping these names bring your daughter comfort when she needs it and peace when you do!
- Adena- delicate, gentle
- Mahalia - tenderness, barren
- Saloma - tranquil, peaceful
- Salome - peaceful, or perfect
- Shulamith - peaceful
Male Hebrew Names Meaning Comfort and Peace
Perhaps one of these names will cast a spell of serenity over your baby?
- Axel - peace of the father
- Damaris - gentle
- Mendel - comforter; wisdom or scholarly
- Nachmanke - compassionate one, one who comforts
- Nehemiah - comforts, or whom Jehovah comforts
- Noah - peaceful, restful; comfort, console
- Saloman - peaceful
- Shalom - peace, wellbeing
- Solomon - peaceful; one who recompenses
Dark Hebrew Names
These Hebrew names and meanings hint at darkness; however, they still are common names for Hebrew babies.
Dark Female Hebrew Names
While the meanings behind these monikers are anything but bubbly and light, the names themselves are beautiful Hebrew names.
- Bethany - house of poverty
- Delilah - delicate, weak
- Dinah - judgment
- Jezebel - follower of idols
- Lilith - monster of the night
- Miriam - rebellious, obstinate
Dark Hebrew Boy Names
These dark Hebrew names might have ominous meanings to them, but the names are lovely, nonetheless.
- Amos - bearer of burden, troubled
- Cain - acquire, possess; spear
- Gershon - exiled, foreign
- Gideon - feller or hewer; he that bruises or breaks
- Ichabod - without glory
- Jonah - dove, pigeon; he that oppresses
- Kabos - swindler
- Lot - covering, veil
- Menassah - forgetful
- Micah - humble, poor
- Mordecai - contrition or bitter; warrior
- Talman - to injure, or to oppress
- Yakov - the supplanter; held by the heel
- Yisrael - wrestles with God; God's prince
Hebrew Names That Mean Persecuted, Weary, and Bitter
These Hebrew names reflect less than desirable circumstances, but they roll off the tongue beautifully.
Hebrew Girl Names Meaning Persecution, Weariness, and Bitterness
The meanings of these names might not be roses and sunshine, but the sound of them is quite the opposite.
- Jobina - persecuted
- Jacqueline - supplanter, or may God protect
- Leah/Lia - weary; mistress, ruler
- Leigh - weary
- Marah - sorrowful, bitter
- Mariasha - bitter, full of sorrow; perfect one
- Maridel - bitter
- Mariel - bitter
- Marilyn - bitter
- Marion - bitter; or wished for child
- Mary - bitter, or wished for child
- Minna - love; mother; bitterness
Hebrew Boy Names Meaning Persecution, Weariness, and Bitterness
These male names might have sad meanings, but they are stunning sound-wise.
- Job - the persecuted; he that weeps
- Jacob - supplanter; to follow; held by the heel
- James - supplanter
- Merari - bitter
Hebrew Baby Names for Leaders
There is no shortage of baby names suitable for the next generation of leaders. Whether you want a name meaning noble, wise, or mighty, these choices are perfect for your little one destined for great things.
Hebrew Girl Names for Leaders-In-Training
Someday she will grow to move mountains, so start her off right with a leadership-inspired name.
- Adara - noble
- Arashel - strong; protected hill
- Ariel/Ariella - lion of god
- Edria - mighty, powerful
- Ethel - noble
- Jada - knowing. wise
- Malka - queen or king
- Nediva - noble and generous
- Sadie - princess
- Sarai - princess, noble lady
- Sydelle - princess
Hebrew Boy Names for Future Leaders
Are you raising a future leader? Perhaps you will should you name your baby one of these options.
- Ahmik - strength of God's flock
- Armon - warrior
- Enoch - dedicated, disciplined
- Ezekiel - strength of God
- Jared - one who rules
- Jarlath - a tributary lord
- Josiah - fire of the Lord
- Nadav - generous, noble
- Oz - valor, courage, strength
- Sagiv - big, great, mighty,
- Shem - renown, conspicuous position
Names That Have to Do With Adornment
These gorgeous names are fit for royalty. If you are raising a little prince or princess, consider one of these perfectly pretty Hebrew names that speak to jewels, adornment, and all that sparkles!
Pretty Hebrew Girl Names Meaning Adornment
These Hebrew female names sound as pretty as the meanings related to them.
- Ada - ornament
- Beryl (unisex) - dazzling jewel
- Hali - ornament, jewel, necklace, sea
- Leshem - precious stone
- Pazia - pure gold, glimmers like gold
- Penina - pearl, jewel
- Sapphire - jewel, precious gem
- Zahavah/Zehava - golden
Dazzling Boy Names Related to Adornment
He is your very own precious jewel, so give your son a name that dazzles just like him!
- Addai - my ornament
- Addo - happy; ornament
- Adie - ornament
- Ardon - bronze
- Gabai - delight, adornment
- Ravid - jewel, ornament
- Timur - iron
Names That Mean Higher
If your little one is the apple of your eye and takes a prominent place in your family, consider a name that means exalted, high, or lifted up.
Hebrew Baby Names Meaning Higher
Which one of these Hebrew baby names ranks "high" on your list of options?
- Aaliyah - exalted, to ascend
- Jeremy - God will uplift
- Madeline - from the high tower; one who is elevated
- Magda - from the high tower; one who is elevated
- Magdalene - from the tower; woman from Magdala
Baby Boy Names Meaning Higher
In your mind and heart, your son sits above all, and these names highlight that notion.
- Aram - exalted
- Aaron - high mountain, or exalted
- Jael - mountain goat; or he that ascends
- Joakim- may Jehovah exalt
- Joram - supreme or high God or elevated
- Ram - high, tall, exalted
- Zion - Zion - highest point
Hebrew Names for Nature Lovers
Many baby names across countless cultures have to do with nature. If you love all things in the natural world, try one of these monikers for your future nature lover.
Hebrew Names for Baby Girls With Nature Meanings
Give your daughter a Hebrew name with a meaning rooted in nature.
- Ahava - water; I shall subsist
- Dayla - to draw water; branch or bough
- Dena - valley; vindicated
- Esther - star
- Gali - wave, mound
- Galya - hill of God
- Geva - hill
- Odera - plough
- Sela - a rock
- Sharon - fertile plain
- Talia - dew of heaven
- Tivona - lover of animals
Hebrew Names for Baby Boys With Nature Meanings
These Hebrew names for boys are earthy options for parents seeking something a bit "grounded."
- Adam - man of earth; human (kind); created by God; red
- Arnon - rejoicing
- Dagan - earth, grain, or corn
- Eben - stone
- Efrain - fertile
- Endorah - fountain
- Ephraim - fruitful, fertile
- Jordan - descended, down flowing
- Nirel (unisex) - God's plowed field
- Raviv - rain
- Tivon - lover of nature
Baby Names for Animal Lovers
Plenty of darling Hebrew names are derived from animals. If you love your four-legged and feathered friends, your baby's name might just be in this list.
Hebrew Girl Names doe Animal Lovers
She is your little lamb, your tiny bird, or your sweet bunny. Animal names are always cute options for parents to consider.
- Ayala - doe, female deer, gazelle
- Daya - a bird of prey
- Deborah - a bee
- Kefira - lion cub
- Tabitha - gazelle, graceful beauty
- Yoninah - dove
Hebrew Boy Names for Animal Lovers
Hebrew boy names with animal meanings are excellent choices for parents expecting a cuddly bear or a little cub.
- Caleb - dog, bold
- Daba - kind words; swarm of bees
- Dov - bear
- Label - lion
- Ophrah - fawn, gazelle
- Rachel - ewe, female sheep, or purity
- Seff - wolf
- Zev - wolf
Botanical Baby Names in Hebrew
If you are a garden aficionado, why not name your little one after a flower, tree, or even something more exotic?
Botanical Baby Girl Names in Hebrew
There are so many beautiful Hebrew names that "stem" from flowers and trees.
- Astera - flower
- Atara - a crown or wreath
- Ayla - oak tree
- Carmel - a piece of vineyard, or garden
- Carmen - field of fruit, song
- Gania - God's garden
- Hadara - glory; citrus fruits
- Hadassa - myrtle
- Ilana - tree
- Kalanit - anemone, windflower
- Kayla - crown or laurel
- Kazia - plant with cinnamon
- Ketzia - surface; cinnamon-like bark
- Kezia - cassia, the spice
- Lilah - lily
- Netta - a seedling, plant, or shrub
- Nira - plowed field
- Nitza - flower bud or blossom
- Shoshannah - lily or rose
- Susan - graceful lily
- Tamar/Tamara - palm tree, date
- Varda - rose
- Vered - rose
Botanical Baby Boy Names in Hebrew
These lovely plant-based boy names are awesome earthy options for plant-loving parents.
- Daliya (unisex) - a long branch
- Ilan - tree
- Kaniel - stalk, reed
- Oren - pale; pine tree
- Raizel - rose
Names That Have to Do With Family
It was common practice to name a child according to their familial relationships, and all of these names have the concept of mother, father, son, or daughter in them. Pay homage to your heritage with one of these unique monikers.
Female Names That Have to Do With Family
These family names are for females who will grow to hold strong familial ties.
- Basha - daughter of God
- Bathsheba - daughter of the oath; the seventh daughter
- Thomasina - twin
Male Names That Have to Do With Family
Keep family at the center of all with one of these male Hebrew names.
- Abbott - father
- Ahab - father's brother
- Barnabas - son of the prophet
- Barnaby - son of prophecy
- Bartholomew - son of a farmer; furrow, hill
- Benjamin - son of the right hand
- Benson - right-hand son
- Reuben - behold, a son
Hebrew Names That Mean Life
These life-affirming names might be the perfect choice for your perfect little human.
Baby Girl Names Meaning Life
One look at her, and life takes on a totally different meaning. A Hebrew name meaning "life" only seems fitting.
- Eva - life
- Eve - life, the mother of all living; from the Hebrew, Chava
- Evelina - life
- Evelyn - life
- Hava - to breathe or to live
- Ledah - birth
Baby Boy Names Meaning Life
He is your life, gives you life, and will grow to live a wonderful life. Give him a name that represents all of this.
- Abel - breath, vapor
- Chayim- life
- Etan - enduring, long-lived
- Hiram - exaltation of life
- Hyman - life
Biblical Hebrew Names and Meanings About God
Naming your baby after a characteristic of God is a great way to acknowledge your religious roots.
Hebrew Baby Names With Biblical Meanings for Girls
Give honor to a higher power by naming your daughter something in the Lord's honor.
- Abijah - God is my father
- Abira - my Father is lofty
- Avia - God is my father
- Daniela - God is my judge
- Eliana - God has answered
- Elisabeth - my God is my oath, or God is satisfaction
- Elisha - God is my salvation
- Elkana - God bought
- Else - God is my oath; from Elisabeth and Elisheba
- Fina - He shall add
- Gabrielle - God is my strength
- Galina - God shall redeem
- Jaynie- Jehovah has been gracious
- Jensine - God has blessed
- Joelle - Jehovah is the Lord; he that wills or commands -
- Josephine - (Jehovah) shall grow
- Liza - oath of God, or God is satisfaction
- Miykala - who is like God
- Zuri - my rock
Hebrew Baby Boy Names With Biblical Meaning
Help him grow to live a faith-based life with one of these Hebrew names referencing God.
- Abner - my Father is luminous
- Acacio - the Lord holds
- Adonai - my Lord
- Anael - God answers
- Daniel- he that judges, God is my judge
- Eilis - God's oath; Jehovah is God
- Elias - Jehovah is God
- Elijah - my God is Jehovah
- Elliott - Jehovah is God
- Emmanuel - God is with us
- Gabriel- God is my strength
- Ilias - Jehovah is God
- Isaiah - salvation of God
- Jaden - Jehovah has heard
- Joel- Jehovah is the Lord; he that wills or commands
- Joseph- to add, or God will increase
- Joshua - a savior or deliverer
- Malachi - my messenger, my angel
- Manuel - God is with us
- Miykal - who is like God
- Palti - God liberates
- Samuel - God has heard; asked of God
- Thaddeus - praise be to God
- Tobias - God is good
- Uzi - power of Jehovah
- Yadon - God is my judge
- Zachary - God has remembered
- Zechariah - whom Jehovah remembers
- Zedekiah - the Lord is righteous; justice of the Lord
- Zuriel - God is my rock
Popular Hebrew Names for Boys and Girls
Try these options out if you're looking for a more mainstream Hebrew name.
Popular Female Hebrew Names
These baby girl names are quite popular, due to their lovely sound and meanings.
- Abigail/Abi - my father's delight
- Ayallah - deer
- Gal - wave
- Maya - water
- Odeya - thanking God
- Ruth - companion or friend
Popular Male Hebrew Names
Whether you want a strong or sentimental name for your boy, these options are popular with parents.
- Aryeh - lion
- Chen (unisex) - grace
- Eitan - strong or enduring
- Ezra - help, support
- Itai - with me
- Lavie (unisex) - lion
- Levi - joined or attached
- Noam (unisex) - tenderness
- Omer - flourishing, long-living
Baby Girl Names That Have to Do With Serving or Helping
These helpful baby names make your little one stand out as someone who is kind, servant-like, and humble.
Hebrew Girl Names Signifying Servitude or Helpfulness
May she grow into a life of helping others with one of these beautiful Hebrew names.
- Britt - the helpful one
- Ezriela - God is my help
- Lexine - helper, and defender of mankind
Hebrew Boy Names Signifying Servitude or Helpfulness
His name will encourage him to give himself to those in need. What parent wouldn't be proud of this trait!
- Abdiel - servant of God
- Azareel - God has helped
- Ebenezer - foundation stone or rock of help
- Eleazar - Go has helped
- Ezer - help
- Jesus - savior, deliverer; God will help
- Lazarus - God will help
- Obadiah - servant of God
Choosing a Hebrew Name for Your Baby
Selecting a name for your baby is one of the most magical and special joys in life. Whether you choose from family or cultural traditions, likes and interests, traits and characteristics, or otherwise, this list of names and their meanings can help you find a special name for your baby.