Everyone loves movie night, but they'll love it even more if you get creative with snacks, themes, and everything else. Whether you're having friends over, planning the perfect date night at home, or hanging with family, these unique movie night ideas will take your evening to the next level. You can guarantee everyone will be begging for the sequel too.
Print Out Movie Tickets
There's just something about actually going to the movies that's super special, and the more you can create that at home, the more fun everyone will have. Start by making your own tickets. It doesn't have to be anything complicated. Just click on the link below to download a printable movie night ticket you can customize.
You can use the movie ticket as an invitation for friends and family, or you can just hand it out to kids earlier in the week so they will get excited for movie night. No wrong answers here!
Pick a Theme for Movie Night at Home
One of the easiest movie night ideas is to pick a theme and just really lean into that awesomeness. Movies lend themselves to themes already, so it's simple to embrace something that will make the whole night even cooler. Here are a few movie night themes to try:
- Superhero - Show your favorite superhero movie and have everyone wear a costume (or at least a cape). Decorate cupcakes in the colors of the superhero movie you're showing and even serve a mocktail that matches.
- 80s movie night - We love the 80s, and we know you do too. Pick a great 80s movie to show and ask everyone to dress in 80s clothes. Break out a great 80s menu too with quiche, tiramisu, and seven-layer dip.
- Classic Hollywood - The stars of the silver screen can live again on your TV. Invite friends and family to dress as their favorite classic movie star and bring in some glitzy decorations and lots of champagne or sparking juice.
- Pirates - Everyone loves a pirate movie, and there are some great ones to choose from. We're partial to Pirates of the Caribbean, but there's always Hook, Peter Pan, and even Goonies. Have everyone talk like a pirate and wear their best seafaring garb.
- Musicals - Everyone (okay, almost everyone) loves a great musical. Play up the musical theme by decorating with music notes or even having a movie soundtrack karaoke night.
- Holiday - Celebrate the next big holiday with a movie night that's all about being festive. There are so many great Christmas movies, Halloween flicks, and even Thanksgiving movies to choose from. Serve holiday food to match.
If you have a little one and you're trying to decide if they're ready for their first trip to the movie theater, planning a movie night at home simulating the theater can help them get comfortable with the idea and build up their excitement. You can theme it with one of their favorite characters or animated movies.
Make It a Pajama Party
For extra fun, turn your movie night into a pajama party. This is perfect for a kids' sleepover (or a grown-up sleepover). Have everyone get comfy in the living room in their PJs and serve all the best midnight snacks (pizza, popcorn, you name it).
Break Out the Movie Night Trivia
Level up your game with a fun movie trivia round. You can play the trivia game first and then watch a movie afterward. This is perfect for getting together with friends or to take your movie date night up a notch. There are tons of different trivia options:
Get Creative With Your Movie Night Popcorn
Sure, there's a reason buttered movie theater popcorn is a classic, but you can get really creative with your popcorn toppings to change things up. This is one of the best DIY movie night ideas for at home since it's really only possible when you've got access to your own kitchen. Try topping your kernels with some of these great options:
- Pickle popcorn - Add a little dill, powdered vinegar, a dash of dried mustard, and salt.
- Cheesy popcorn - Toss your buttered popcorn with parmesan and powdered cheddar.
- Sugar and spice popcorn - Mix up some cinnamon, sugar, and salt and add it to buttered popcorn.
- Maple bacon popcorn - Shake maple sugar over your popcorn and add lots of bacon bits.
Turn movie night into a huge event by hosting a popcorn bar with lots of different topping options. People can customize and get creative with individual bowls of popcorn for a tasty treat.
Combine Lots of Movie Night Ideas for Extra Fun
Every one of these movie night ideas is sure to make your traditional film time a little more fun, but we totally recommend combining more than one option to really level up your evening. It's all about making it a memorable event everyone will enjoy.