Whether you're playing an ice breaker at an adventure camp or retreat or just hanging out with friends at a sleepover, these Truth or Dare questions will have you laughing and having a great time together. Learn about your friends' most embarrassing moments, watch how they react when dared to do something gross or scary, and just get to know each other better!
Making Truth or Dare Interesting
Traditionally, you play Truth or Dare with a group of several people, but you can also play it with just one person, like your best friend or a crush. Each person takes a turn deciding whether they would rather truthfully answer a random and revealing question or perform an action (dare) picked by the group or the person asking. Once they choose whether they want a truth or a dare, they can't go back on their choice.
It's fun to play according to the traditional rules, but there are lots of ways you can change it up to make it even cooler.
Play Truth or Dare by Text
No slumber party? No problem! You can play Truth or Dare by text too. This is super convenient, especially for the truth part. For dares, it's a good idea to require the players to prove their antics with a photo. After all, it never happened if it wasn't caught on camera.
Play Truth or Dare by Phone
You can play online or over the phone too. This is a great way to stay connected with friends who don't live close by. Use a conference call to include the whole group or just play with a single pal. Use photos to prove the dares.
Try the Long Game
Sure, Truth or Dare is usually a single-evening activity, but it doesn't have to be. If you're hanging out for a few days or playing by text or phone, you can easily pick it up and put it down to extend the fun. Games can go on for days, weeks, or even months, allowing the game to become part of your regular interactions as friends.
If you play truth or dare on your phones and take photos, they can be hilarious to post online. Keep in mind that only the person who is in the photo should be able to post it on Instagram or anywhere else (always better if we can control our own messaging, after all).
Questions for Truth or Dare
When trying to come up with your questions for truth or dare, it is important to figure out what type of things you're looking for. Whether you want something embarrassing or just want to know more about the people playing, there are a few basic questions that you can use. These fun questions are sure to make for a good, harmless time while playing truth or dare.
Truth or Dare Questions for Girls
- What kind of clothes or pajamas do you think are totally ridiculous?
- What's the dumbest thing you've ever done on a dare?
- What is the weirdest thing you've ever thought about?
- If you could marry one person you know, who would you pick and why?
- If you were stuck on a deserted island, which friend would you want with you?
- What do you collect that no one knows about?
- How many tubes of lip balm do you own?
- Who is the toughest female book or movie character you can think of and how are you like them?
Truth Questions for Guys
- What was your childhood nickname (and why)?
- How long have you gone without showering?
- What's your scariest nightmare?
- Where is the strangest place you've used the bathroom?
- Have you ever cheated on a test?
- Have you ever done something against the law?
- Did you ever fake illness to get out of school or another event?
- Have you ever wet the bed?
Non-Binary Truth or Dare Questions
- What is one secret no one else knows about you?
- Who do you have a crush on?
- What was the last thing that made you laugh so hard you couldn't breathe?
- What's something no one knows you own?
- What is an embarrassing moment you wish you could forget?
Most Truth or Dare questions aren't gendered, so you can switch them up or modify them a little to work for anyone.
Truth or Dare Questions for Best Friends
- What were your first impressions of me (the person asking the question)?
- Have you ever lied to me?
- What are the three qualities you feel are most important in a friend?
- What kind of situation would make you lie for me?
- What is one thing you've never told anyone else?
- How many best friends have you had during your lifetime?
- What would you do if your current boyfriend/girlfriend/significant other ended things right now?
- What would you do with a million dollars if you ever won the lottery?
- Are you scared of dying? Why?
The Truth or Dare questions you choose for your closest friends can be super deep, since these are the people who already know your biggest secrets. There's almost nothing you can't ask.
Truth or Dare Questions for Your Girlfriend, Boyfriend, or Significant Other
- What is your favorite feature about yourself?
- Of all the clothing you've seen me wear, what is your least favorite item?
- Do you like kissing me?
- What personality traits do you think are most important in someone you're dating?
- What's something you're afraid to tell me about yourself?
- What do you think is your biggest physical flaw?
- Have you ever been cheated on by someone you were dating?
- What do you find most attractive about me?
- What did you think of me before we started dating?
- What's something I don't know about you yet?
- What is your biggest fear?
Truth or Dare Questions for Couples
- Who was your first crush?
- How old were you when you had your first kiss?
- What is the most awkward moment you've ever had on a date?
- If you could kiss a celebrity without it impacting things with us, who would it be?
- What would you do on the perfect first date?
- If you could spend 24 hours as the opposite gender or as a non-binary person, what would you do?
Choose intimate questions to deepen your bond with a romantic partner. If you talk about your feelings and your fears, you'll end up closer.
Funny Truth or Dare Questions
- What do you think about while sitting on the toilet?
- Would you rather have a sneeze that sounds like a train horn or only be able to do a creepy high-pitched giggle as a laugh?
- Have you ever peed in the swimming pool?
- Would you rather eat a pigeon or a subway rat?
- Would you eat an ice cream sundae topped with dead flies in exchange for $50?
Clean Truth Questions
- If you weren't here, what would you be doing?
- If you couldn't go to the college or get the job of your dreams, what would you do?
- What's your biggest pet peeve?
- What is your special talent?
- What's the best meal you've ever had?
- What would you do if you were invisible for a day?
- If your life were made into a movie who would play you?
- What happened on the worst day of your life?
- What personality traits would cause you to end a friendship?
- If you could be born again, who would you come back as?
Truth or Dare questions don't need to be dirty to be fun and interesting. Ask about deep, intimate things to really learn about the person.
Flirty Truth or Dare Questions
- If you could go on a date with anyone in the room who would it be?
- Of all the people you know, who has the most beautiful eyes?
- What is the first thing that comes to your mind about the person on your left?
- What's the best kind of underwear?
- What's your favorite feature on someone of the opposite sex?
Embarrassing Questions for Truth or Dare
- What don't you want anyone in this group to ask you? (Be sure to keep it in mind for future rounds!)
- Have you ever told a lie during a game of Truth or Dare? What was it and why?
- Have you ever had a crush on anyone here?
- Which person here knows something about you that you wouldn't want revealed?
- Have you ever sung and danced in the grocery store?
- What book are you embarrassed to have read?
- What do you eat when you can choose anything and no one is around to see?
Truth or Dare Questions Over the Phone
- Pick one person on this call; what is some honest relationship advice you would give them?
- If you knew the world was about to end, what would you hang up the phone and do right now?
- What is something only you know about someone we both know who is not on this call?
- Who was the last person you called?
- What was the last song you listened to on your phone?
Truth or Dare Questions Over Text
- What is the most embarrassing thing within three feet of you right now?
- What is the best feature of the nearest person, and who is it?
- What color are the eyes of the person who asked you this question?
- If you had to eat something within two feet of where you're sitting or standing, what would you choose?
- What was the last thing you photographed with your phone?
Questions About Breaking Rules
- Would you go behind a friend's back with a crush?
- Would you ever cheat off a friend's paper?
- Have you ever kept a library book instead of returning it?
- Have you ever pretended to be older or younger than you are to be able to do something?
- Have you ever snuck into a movie you weren't supposed to see?
- Have you ever told your parents you were somewhere you weren't?
- Have you ever been late for curfew?
- Have you ever been in trouble with the police?
- Have you ever been to the principal's office?
Questions for Kids
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- What kind of person do you want to marry someday?
- Do you want to have kids? How many?
- If you could switch places with someone for a day who would it be?
- If you could invent anything, what would it be?
- If you could be a Disney character, who would you be and why?
- What does your sibling know about you that no one else does?
- If you could be a superhero, what would your power be?
- What's your favorite Disney movie and why?
Truth or Dare Questions for Tweens
- What is your baby nickname?
- What kids' movie do you still secretly watch over and over?
- Have you ever danced in front of the mirror?
- Which song are you embarrassed that you love?
- What is something you've never told anyone?
- Do you sleep with a blanket or stuffed animal?
- Given the choice, would you want to hang out with your parents?
- Imagine yourself as a college student... what would you be like?
Truth or Dare Questions for Families
- Which family member are you most like?
- Who in your family are you afraid you'll turn out like some day?
- Who in your family has seen you cry in the last year?
- Do you choose to hang out with your siblings?
- What do you and your siblings do when no one else is home?
- What's the worst thing you've ever said to your parents?
- What do you parents do that you don't want anyone else to see?
- Have you ever blamed your sibling for something that was actually your fault?
Awesome Dare Questions for Every Situation
For great dares, the key here is asking the person to do something they wouldn't ordinarily do. This may seem obvious, but it's kind of a different bar for everyone. Really hilarious dares come from absurd requests.
Remember that you should never dare a friend to break the law or do something dangerous. The game is supposed to be fun, and the entertainment will quickly come to an end if someone is hurt or the police are called.
Good Dares for Your Crush
- Kiss the feet of the person who gave you this dare.
- Make up a rap about the person who dared you, mentioning his or her best features.
- Take a selfie while kissing the other person on the cheek.
- Talk about what you like about the other person for the next two minutes.
- See how many maraschino cherry stems you can tie into a knot with your tongue in the space of five minutes.
Dares for Tweens
- Drink a mystery brew concocted by the rest of the group. Make sure there is nothing harmful or dangerous in the concoction and set a reasonable limit of sips the person must take to complete the dare.
- Go outside and sing a clip of your favorite Disney song at the top of your lungs.
- Eat a snack without using your hands.
- Take 10 minutes to come up with an outfit that has every color of the rainbow. Borrow things from friends as you need to.
- If there is a pet at the event, try to hold the pet for the rest of the night.
Dares for Kids in Truth or Dare
- Eat a mouthful of crackers and try to whistle.
- In your next class, raise your hand each time the teacher asks a question and give the answer (if you can!!).
- Combine two foods that should never go together, such as pickles and peanut butter or applesauce and olives, and eat a huge bite.
- Pretend to be a waiter or waitress and take snack orders from everyone in the group. Bring them the food they ordered and then check back to see if they like it.
- Repeat everything another player says for the next three rounds of the game.
If it's okay with everyone involved, it can be fun to get a video of the person doing the dare. It's hilarious to look back on these later.
Dares for Couples
- Stand next to the refrigerator (or food pack if you're camping), close your eyes, and randomly point to something inside. Keep your eyes shut while your boyfriend or girlfriend helps you eat some of the food you picked.
- Exchange shirts with your significant other for the next round of questions.
- Try to give your boyfriend or girlfriend a piggyback ride around the room.
- Allow the other person to give you a whole new look, complete with hair, makeup, and a super awesome outfit.
- Lick each one of your significant other's fingers.
Clean Dares for Truth or Dare
- Tape your hands to your ankles for the next 10 minutes.
- Wear a funny hat on your head for the next three rounds of questions.
- Ask the neighbors to borrow a cup of sugar.
- Get a large garbage bag and cut the bottom open. Put it on like a skirt and tie the ties around your waist. Act like you are modeling couture on the catwalk.
- Run around the room imitating a monkey.
Dares Over Text
- Open Facebook and like the first post, whether you agree or not.
- Share the last photo you took with your phone with no expectation.
- Moonwalk while a friend takes a video, and then send the video to the person who dared you.
- Everything you type for the rest of the game has to rhyme.
- Call the first person on your contact list and sing them happy birthday.
- Text the fifth person on your contact list that you peed your pants.
- Crack an egg on your head.
- Let everyone in the group style your hair and take photos.
- For the rest of the game, every time someone asks a question, you have to yell "giddy-up" and gallop around the room in a circle.
- Take off your socks and wear them on your hands for the rest of the evening.
- Pretend that you're swimming underwater for the next three rounds of questions. Don't forget to make bubbling noises and come up for air from time to time.
- Sing instead of speaking for the next two rounds of the game.
Dares for Adults
- Take off the couch cushions and hold anything you find under there in your mouth for 10 seconds.
- Switch clothing with someone of the opposite gender. Change in private, but wear the clothes for the next four rounds.
- Find something to wear as a cape and act like a superhero.
- Say the alphabet backward in a British accent.
- Give a play-by-play of the last time you went into the bathroom, covering every detail.
- Go to the drugstore and buy a package of adult diapers.
- Post a YouTube video of you singing a currently popular song into a hairbrush.
- Update your status on social media using only words that start with the letter "T."
- Make a headdress out of toilet paper and post a photo online.
- Take a screen shot of your browsing history and send it to the group.
- Write a really long, really detailed Instagram post about the process of buying your last pair of shoes.
Best Dares for Girls
- Prank call someone you know (perhaps another girl in the group that couldn't make it that night).
- Go outside and shout at the top of your lungs, "I am [your name]! Hear me roar!"
- Pick your nose in front of the group and eat it!
- Wear your pants backward for the rest of the game.
- Set up a tea party between any of the stuffed animals in the house. Invite the people in your group to join.
Like Truth or Dare questions, these dares aren't really only for one gender or the other. Switch them up for double the fun.
Best Dares for Guys
- Paint each toenail and fingernail a different color and keep the polish on for a week.
- Switch socks with someone for the rest of the game.
- Hold hands with the person to your right for 60 seconds.
- Call someone you think is attractive and pay that person a compliment about his or her best feature.
- Do a belly dance for the group.
Make It a Fun Party Game for Everyone
Games like Truth or Dare can be loads of fun. However, if you come across something that you or someone in the group doesn't want to answer or do, don't get swept up in the game. Present that person with another truth question or dare to keep the game going or maybe move on to something simpler like asking yes or no questions. Remember, these people are going to be your friends after the party game. Don't do anything to mess that up!