Most people spend more time on the job than they do sleeping or interacting with family, friends, and significant others. Being happy, satisfied, and fulfilled in your work has a positive effect on your entire life. In short, you're just more fun to be around. "What am I going to be when I grow up?" is a question people of all ages ask themselves. So, if you're just starting out, or you're feeling dissatisfied and unfulfilled in your current vocation, or if you just have a sense you're not doing what you were born to do, perhaps astrology can offer some answers.
Choose a Job Based on Your Strengths
Your sun sign says a lot about your greatest career strengths. Your sun is the center. It holds your personality together and directs your actions. You'll shine at work when using the energy of your sun sign.
Everyone knows there 12 astrological signs, but did you know each sign has one element and modality (sometimes called quality)? These can define your strengths. The element of your sun sign relates to your basic temperament or disposition. The modality of your Sun sign tells your normal mode of behavior; both are important in deciding on what work role is best for you.
Modalities for Each Sun Sign
The following are the modalities for each sun sign.
• Cardinal signs are Aries, Cancer, Libra, and Capricorn; their mode of behavior is to initiate and start new things.
• Fixed signs are Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, and Aquarius; their mode of behavior is to hold on, follow things through, manage, strengthen, and support.
• Mutable signs are Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, and Pisces; their mode of behavior is to loosen structures, circulate, and quickly adapt to changing conditions.
The following are the elements for each sun sign.
• The Fire signs, Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius, are extroverted, energetic, inspirational, high-spirited, straightforward, self-directed, physically active, dramatic, and courageous.
• The Earth signs, Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn, are practical, efficient, organized, realistic, patient, self-disciplined, hard-working, productive, enduring, persistent, and dependable.
• The Air signs, Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius, are thoughtful, articulate, objective, mentally bright, understanding, cooperative, and socially adept.
• The Water signs, Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces, are emotional, sympathetic, empathetic, nurturing, calm and peaceful, sensitive, compassionate, imaginative, and intuitive.
Astrological Sun Signs and Careers
Some jobs are routine and predictable while others are more creative and allow for more freedom. Some jobs are very people oriented while others require you to spend more time working alone. Still, others are thought oriented or idea-centric. Understanding and taking into consideration the element and modality of your sun sign is important when contemplating a career choice based on your strengths. Once you understand your sun sign's career strengths, you'll find that every career field, be it corporate, technical, medical, education, or service has a job title that plays to your strengths.
Best Jobs for Aries
Aries is Cardinal Fire. Aries' greatest career strength is their ability to initiate something new energetically. They are self-starters who gravitate toward occupations that allow for individual initiative, courage, and competitiveness.
Examples of careers best suited for Aries include:
- Defense attorney
- Commission salesperson
- Firefighter or police officer
- Advertising and marketing
- Military professional
- Ambulance driver or paramedic
Taurus is Fixed Earth. Taurus' greatest career strength is they are productive and have great follow through. Down to earth, practical, and methodical, they gravitate toward occupations that deal with the natural world, have a leisurely pace, offer long-term security, and require a high degree of creativity.
Examples of careers best suited for Taurus include:
- Real estate sales agent
- Controller or purchaser
- Landscape artist, nursery or greenhouse manager
- Personal chef or pastry chef
- Music or art tutor
- Dog sitter or walker
Gemini is Mutable Air. Gemini's individual's greatest career strength is their adaptability and their ability to articulate and share information. They prefer stimulating occupations that emphasize communication and the exchange of information.
Examples of careers best suited for a Gemini include:
- Social media manager
- Online writer or editor
- Journalist or reporter
- Web developer
- Kindergarten teacher
Careers for Cancer
Cancer is Cardinal Water. Cancer's greatest career strength is their sensitivity to the needs and emotions of people around them. They are active caregivers who gravitate toward occupations related to children and family or to jobs where they protect and nurture others.
Examples of careers best suited for Cancer include:
- Cook or dietician
- Social worker or school counselor
- Nanny or other work in childcare
- Hospitality, food service, or lodging manager
- Child protective investigator
- Bed and breakfast or a home-based business owner
Leo's Best Jobs
Leo is Fixed Fire. A Leo's greatest career strength is self-confidence, exuberance and joy, and strong leadership abilities. They gravitate toward careers that are fun, provide them with a leadership role, and allow them to display their creative talents.
Examples of careers best suited for Leo include:
- Antiques appraiser
- Executive chef
- Make-up artist
- Toy idea professional
- Party and event planner
- Branding consultant
Best Virgo Career Choices
Virgo is Mutable Earth. Virgo's greatest career strength is in their quiet demeanor, problem-solving skills, and ability to find practical solutions, and this serves them well when they are the boss, too. They gravitate toward careers in quiet work environments that require highly refined organizational skills, or where precision is needed.
Examples of careers best suited for Virgo include:
- Medical records technician
- Market research analyst
- Nursing assistant
Career Choices for Libra
Libra is Cardinal Air. A Libra's greatest career strength is their ability to communicate creatively and interact with others. Libras are people people who gravitate toward careers in active and enterprising social and creative environments.
Examples of careers best suited for Libra include:
- Host or hostess in restaurant, lounge, or coffee shop
- Marriage counselor or mediator
- Wedding consultant
- Community relations manager
- Design consultant
- Hairstylist or makeup artist
Scorpio Career Strengths
Scorpio is Fixed Water. Endurance, fortitude, and the ability to patiently and tirelessly investigate an issue is Scorpio's greatest career strength. They gravitate toward careers that offer quiet seclusion where they can investigate, discover secrets, and come up with solutions.
Examples of careers best suited for Scorpio include:
- Forensic accountant
- Tax attorney
- Medical researcher
- Psychologist or hypnotherapist
Suitable Career Choices for Sagittarius
Sagittarius is Mutable Fire. A Sagittarian's greatest career strength is their adventurous, easy-going nature, their versatility, and their ability to adapt quickly to changing circumstances. Those with the sun in Sagittarius gravitate toward careers that are lively, stimulating, and keep them on the go, meeting and learning from different types of people and environments.
Examples of careers best suited for Sagittarius include:
- Travel agent
- Truck driver
- Tour guide
- Advertising sales representative
Capricorn's Job Strengths
Capricorn is Cardinal Earth. A Capricorn's greatest career strength is their ambitious drive to succeed. They gravitate toward careers that offer advancement and give them authority, status, and security.
Examples of careers best suited for Capricorn:
- City administrator
- Small business owner
- Corporate manager
- School administrator
- Creative director
- Bank financial analyst or loan officer
Job Strengths of Aquarius
Aquarius is Fixed Air. An Aquarian's greatest career strength is to take their out-of-the-box ideas and follow them through to the end. They are drawn to careers that offer autonomy, are on the cutting edge, and involve the latest technology.
Examples of careers best suited for Aquarius include:
- Weather person
- Robotics engineer
- Software applications developer
Pisces Career Paths
Pisces is Mutable Water. A Pisces' greatest career strength is their sensitivity, empathy, acceptance, kindness, and understanding of others. They are drawn to careers in unstructured environments where they are free to go wherever their imagination takes them, or to those that allow them to help or heal others.
Examples of careers best suited for Pisces include:
- Holistic medicine practitioner
- Non-profit or charity work
- Compounding pharmacist
- Musician or music therapist
Career Advice Online
You may love your job and find it fulfilling, but even so, there will be good days and bad days. The three sites listed can give you the scoop on what to expect on the career front daily, weekly, and even monthly.
- Horoscope.com's Daily Career offers daily career horoscopes by sun sign.
- Lunarcafe.com's Today's Career Horoscopes provides a free daily job horoscope.
- Astrology.com's Daily CareerScope allows you to peek into daily career advice.
Computerized Career Reports
The Sun sign is important but if you want to get a taste of what a professional astrologer might say, there are computerized career reports available that can be delivered to you online in minutes.
- Cafeastrology.com offers a full sample report you can review before purchasing your own 35-page Career Report for $6.95.
- Astrodienst offers a much more synthesized Career and Vocational report written by the legendary astrologer Liz Greene for $69.95. You can scroll to the bottom to find a free "Try-Out Edition." There, you'll also find full sample reports on Barack Obama or Bob Dylan.
Astrological Indicators and Career Choice
There are many astrological players when it comes to what career choice is best for you. Of course, the sun sign is major, but your natal ascendant, moon, and so much more are important. So, if you're serious about finding out what you want to do or be when you "grow up," your best bet is to visit an astrologer who can synthesize all the factors involved, give you a comprehensive assessment, and answer any questions you might have.